Looking to get involved

Andrew Whitworth

Mar 21, 2017, 8:34:47 PM3/21/17
to netmq-dev
I'm looking to get involved with an open source project. NetMQ and NetMQ/Zyre are things that I use both professionally and in my personal projects so they seem like good places to look. NetMQ/Zyre, in particular, seems like it doesn't seem to have high development velocity. It's listed as version 1.0.0-rc1, but there's nothing obvious in the Issues or anywhere else that I can see preventing it from being 1.0.0. It's most recent commit is from April 2016, nearly a year ago.

The NetMQ/Zyre README says it is missing the zgossip protocol. Is this something that is expected to have for some milestone? Are there any other major features from the C reference which need to be ported to C#? Besides lack of developers, is there any reason why this project hasn't been updated in a year?

Are there features that need to be ported from C for NetMQ? I see a lot of tickets in the NetMQ issue tracker, are there any in particular that could be tackled by a newbie with good C# skills and a lot of enthusiasm?

If anybody can point me in the right direction to start helping, I would very much appreciate it.

--Andrew Whitworth

Doron Somech

Mar 23, 2017, 5:54:19 AM3/23/17
to Andrew Whitworth, netmq-dev
I think three important things are missing in NetMQ (or netmq family) without currently a solution, from most important to least:

1. Universal Windows Platform (UWP) support, I have started working on a small library, but it is unfinished, if you want to take the lead it will be great: https://github.com/somdoron/ZMTP.NET. Mainly it doesn't need to support all of NetMQ features (or performance) just simple implementation of the ZMTP procotol will all relevant socket types.
2. Better Unity support, here as well I think we should small portable library instead of trying embedding full blown NetMQ in Unity, anyway NetMQ and unity is not working perfectly at the moment. I think eventually we should have ZMTP support all frontend platforms and not only UWP, which will also solve Unity problem.
3. Security, ZeroMQ v4 and ZMTP v3 introduces security features (based on NaCl). NetMQ need to catch eventually. I will start with supporting ZMTP v3 with null mechanism, we can then introduce the curve mechanism. There are number of NaCl ports for C# , I also created one, but it is un-maintained and not ready.

Anyway, I think the first one is the most repeated one. So if you can take the lead I will move the project to the NetMQ organization and can help you with direction.