Status of NetMQ and it's security support

Johan H

Feb 12, 2015, 10:39:38 AM2/12/15
to netm...@googlegroups.com
What is the current status of the NetMQ security support? CurveZMQ seems very promising but does NetMQ implement it and if not are there plans for an implementation of it?
Also is NetMQ in general production ready yet? I would need it for inter-process communication between two dotnet desktop applications on the same machine and also need it to work on both Windows and OS X (the applications are written in c# based on Xamarin).

Thanks
Johan

Doron Somech

Feb 12, 2015, 10:50:32 AM2/12/15
to Johan H, netm...@googlegroups.com
1. NetMQ doesn't implement CurveZMQ at the moment, the company I work for have a need for it so it might be implement it, but it won't happen in the next couple of month.
2. Yes, NetMQ is general production ready. Currently must stable version is 3.3.0.10, also master is stable now (I will release a version soon).
3. NetMQ doesn't have any inter process communication support other than TCP. nor zeromq.
4. Yes NetMQ works on OSX, also on Linux and android as far as I know.

Johan Hammar

Feb 12, 2015, 11:03:52 AM2/12/15
to Doron Somech, netm...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for a prompt reply. OK, I thought at least ZeroMQ had non-TCP inter-process support (at least where UNIX domain sockets are supported)? See zmq-ipc

I would be happy using WCF over a named pipe as I did for Windows-only applications previously, however named pipes on OS X does not yet seem to be supported by Mono. Back to square one :)

/Johan

Răzvan Tănase

Nov 9, 2015, 4:54:27 PM11/9/15
to netmq-dev, joha...@gmail.com
Hi,

Are there any updates on the CurveZMQ support for NetMq? If not, do you know if the TLS support in NetMq is production-ready or if there are people using it in prod?

Thanks,
Razvan

Doron Somech

Nov 10, 2015, 4:33:59 AM11/10/15
to Răzvan Tănase, netmq-dev, Johan Hammar
I don't know of anyone using the TLS on production. Regarding Curve with NetMQ, I'm might get to that soon, anyway I'm looking for funding for that project.

Mark Nuttall-Smith

Mar 22, 2016, 2:58:26 PM3/22/16
to netmq-dev
Hi Doron, has there been any progress with the implementation (or planning) of the zeromq 4 security features in NetMQ? I'd like to use NetMQ for a project, but if it's not likely to be implemented this year, then I'd have to build around crlzmq4. Sadly, it's only a personal project so I can't help with the funding.
Regards, Mark

Doron Somech

Mar 27, 2016, 6:22:10 AM3/27/16
to Mark Nuttall-Smith, netmq-dev
Hi Mark,

It doesn't seems so far that the Security features are coming to NetMQ.

However NetMQ has a security wrapper as part of the library you can use, take a look at:

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 9:58 PM, Mark Nuttall-Smith <marknutt...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Doron, has there been any progress with the implementation (or planning) of the zeromq 4 security features in NetMQ? I'd like to use NetMQ for a project, but if it's not likely to be implemented this year, then I'd have to build around crlzmq4. Sadly, it's only a personal project so I can't help with the funding.
Regards, Mark

Noah

Apr 13, 2016, 9:44:31 PM4/13/16
to netmq-dev
For what it is worth, we are using the 'Secure Channel' feature referenced by Doron below below in our production app. We were using pub/sub pattern prior to this and ended up re-implementing pub/sub on top of SecureChannel (per Doron's recommendation). We've been running like this for a few months in production.

We do have some occasional blips that we are tracking down (https://github.com/zeromq/netmq/issues/525), but due to how we use NetMQ (a 'control-channel', can tolerate short hiccups) and our logging / alerting we have been getting along OK.

Doron Somech

Apr 20, 2016, 5:49:14 AM4/20/16
to Noah, netmq-dev
pretty cool.

jabak

Aug 16, 2017, 8:21:08 AM8/16/17
to netmq-dev, noah.d...@gmail.com
What is missing in order to classify it as "production ready"?

andres...@laincosoftware.com

May 28, 2018, 11:56:07 AM5/28/18
to netmq-dev
Hi Doron,

Has been any progress NetMQ security capabilities? I'd like to use it integrated with Obvs but would need some security feature.
By the way I explored the SecureChannel approach but not sure to be transparent for the differetne NetMQ clients Is my interpretation right ?

Thanks in advance.
Andrés