Netlogo won't load

Rob Geiger

Sep 22, 2022, 1:28:06 PM9/22/22
to netlogo-users
When users try to load Netlogo when logged into a Google account, the program just shows the spinning logo icon. I'm assuming it is being blocked by something at the administration level, related to user policies, but I don't know what that might be.

Has anyone encountered this before?

Jeremy Baker

Sep 29, 2022, 1:01:57 PM9/29/22
to Rob Geiger, netlogo-users
Hey Rob,

Since you mentioned the "spinning logo icon", I'm assuming you are talking about NetLogo Web?  It requires no login, so a Google account shouldn't directly affect its ability to run.  It should run fine in Safari, Firefox, Chrome, or Edge.

I'm not sure what your organization's policies are, but NetLogo Web does require JavaScript enabled in order to function properly.  The only external site it calls out to is Google Analytics to log the page views, and that isn't required for the rest of the site to work.

If you can open up the web developer tools, switch to the Console tab, and copy any errors you see there after opening the page with the spinner (usually Ctrl-Shift-I on Windows/Linux, Command-Option-I on macOS), that might help diagnose what's going wrong.  Also, sharing a link you're using to open the model that's failing could help, too, if that's possible.

If it is a security policy issue and your system administrators need any other information to get the site "approved", just let me know.  Thanks.

-Jeremy

Dec 5, 2023, 1:42:55 PM12/5/23
to netlogo-users
Here is the link that my students are trying to access. It will quickly load the screen and then go to a gray screen with the spinning wheel. I have enabled Javascript and reloaded the page and it still continues to load the spinning wheel. This is on a Chromebook with the latest OS Version118.0.5993.124

Hazel Park Schools • Today’s Learners, Tomorrow’s Leaders.

The Cornerstone of Oakland, Macomb and Wayne Counties.

District Communication’s Protocol:

RR = Response Required Within One Working Business Day

NRN = No Reply Necessary

CC or BCC: No Reply Necessary

Electronic Privacy Notice. This e-mail and any attachment contain information that is, or may be, covered by electronic communications privacy laws, and is also confidential and proprietary in nature. If you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you are legally prohibited from retaining, using, copying, distributing, or otherwise disclosing this information in any manner. Instead, please reply to the sender that you have received this communication in error, and then immediately delete it. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

BOARD MEMBER ALERT: This email is not for interactive discussion purposes. The recipient should not forward it to any other individual or copy a reply to other board members.

Jeremy Baker

Dec 5, 2023, 2:40:37 PM12/5/23
to Bradley Wilkins, netlogo-users
Hey Bradley,

Thanks for sending the link.  I tested it out and it works for me in multiple browsers, so it still seems like some conflict or configuration issue on the Chromebooks.  Can you check the web developer console and see if there are any messages or errors being reported there?

> If you can open up the web developer tools, switch to the Console tab, and copy any errors you see there after opening the page with the spinner (usually Ctrl-Shift-I on Windows/Linux, Command-Option-I on macOS), that might help diagnose what's going wrong.

Thanks.

-Jeremy

Apr 21, 2024, 9:32:59 PMApr 21
to netlogo-users
Did you ever get it to work on Chromebook, it has been "loading" for me for hours

Sunny Cheyne

Apr 21, 2024, 9:33:05 PMApr 21
to netlogo-users
Did you ever find a way to make it work?

Bradley Wilkins

Apr 22, 2024, 1:23:15 PMApr 22
to Sunny Cheyne, netlogo-users
Hi Sunny,

I have not been able to get it to work.

With Students in Mind,

Bradley Wilkins
Director of Technology
Hazel Park School District

HAZEL PARK SCHOOLS

"Today's Learners, Tomorrow's Leaders"

Chaplain - Warrior Family Ministries

dottie passmore

Apr 22, 2024, 1:23:20 PMApr 22
to netlogo-users

Having the same issue here in my school district. I can load the netLogo with Firefox or Safari on my Macbook, but Chrome will not load and students cannot access it on their chromebooks either. I am reaching out to district IT and will let you know if I hear of anything.

Bob Charpentier

Apr 30, 2024, 1:59:55 PMApr 30
to netlogo-users
I'm trying to troubleshoot this exact issue for a customer. The simulation will not run on Chromebooks using the Chrome browser, but will run on other computers using either Chrome or FF.

My two theories about the cause of this issue are 1) a network security policy disallowing some component of Netlogo and 2) a Chrome extension.

Can anyone confirm if the problem persists if the computers having issues are not on the district's net and/or have all extensions disabled?

Thanks.

Jeremy Baker

Apr 30, 2024, 4:34:38 PMApr 30
to Bob Charpentier, netlogo-users
Hey Bob. We haven't had confirmation yet, but I agree with you and strongly suspect some kind of managed system security or configuration is causing the issue. We've added changes that'll be released soon to show better error messages when JavaScript isn't available or a very early initialization error occurs in NetLogo Web, but those changes will not help users who are trying to view previously exported standalone model pages. I'll elaborate a bit on these items below.
In addition to network restrictions and extension conflicts, NetLogo Web requires JavaScript to be enabled in order to function properly. The only external site it calls out to is Google Analytics to log the page views, and that isn't required for the rest of the site to work.
Enabling JavaScript and relaxing security restrictions for the netlogoweb.org site may not be enough if the model was exported as a single documented to be hosted elsewhere, as in the posted link from earlier in this thread: https://virtualbiologylab.org/NetWebHTML_FilesJan2016/PopulationEstimationModel.html . Since it's an exported HTML model page, JavaScript must be allowed for the virtualbiologylab.org site for the model to run.
When this "endless spinner" is encountered, opening up the web developer tools, switching to the Console tab, and copying any errors you see there after opening the page (usually Ctrl-Shift-I on Windows/Linux, Command-Option-I on macOS) might help diagnose what's going wrong. Also, sharing a link you're using to open the model that's failing could help, too, if that's possible.
If it is a security policy issue and your system administrators need any other information to get the site "approved", just let me know. If they need to contact us directly they can do so in this forum or sending an email to feed...@ccl.northwestern.edu.
-Jeremy

May 8, 2024, 11:41:38 AMMay 8
to netlogo-users
Hey all,

Bob sent along some info that he found a Chrome web browser extension was causing the conflict that led to the model not loading on the Chromebooks.  This extension was managed by the system administrators of the Chromebooks.  I've added a change to NetLogo Web to try to avoid the error with the extension loaded. These changes along with the changes to catch errors during model initialization are released to NetLogo Web's site: https://netlogoweb.org

The problem, though, is that any model that's been exported to an HTML will not automatically get the new code applied.  Those models are a snapshot in time from when the model was published. As such, any affected model would need to be re-exported from NetLogo Web and then re-uploaded to a host for use. More information on exporting and hosting is in our documentation: https://netlogoweb.org/docs/faq#saving

The next best advice we can give to system administrators for Chromebooks would be to disable the extension on certain sites that host NetLogo Web models, or to have it be a "click to use" option instead of enabled by default. I'm not sure on the use cases for this extension or others to determine how feasible that is, but it wouldn't require re-exporting the model.

-Jeremy