Seeking Solutions for Memory Management Issues with Large Network Model in NetLogo

Tim Verlaan

Apr 24, 2024, 10:55:01 AMApr 24
to netlogo-users

Seeking Solutions for Memory Management Issues with Large Network Model in NetLogo

Hello NetLogo Community,

I am developing a police emergency response simulation using NetLogo that features a large street network model with approximately 116,000 nodes. Despite using commands like clear-all at the start of every setup and calling nw:set-context nodes links every 1000th tick to manage memory (which seems to do nothing), I am experiencing significant memory retention issues that are not alleviated unless I completely restart NetLogo. This challenge is particularly acute when running multiple instances in BehaviorSpace, causing memory demands to quickly exceed what my system can handle.

Any guidance, experiences, or references to relevant resources would be greatly appreciated as I look to optimize memory usage and manage large-scale simulations more effectively.

Thank you very much for your support!

Tim

Michael Tamillow

Apr 24, 2024, 11:47:56 AMApr 24
to Tim Verlaan, netlogo-users
That does not surprise me.

Go to this website and search “headless”. Read the section under “Advanced Usage”. That may help.

https://ccl.northwestern.edu/netlogo/docs/behaviorspace.html

Aaron Andre Brandes

Apr 29, 2024, 5:27:52 PMApr 29
to Tim Verlaan, netlogo-users

Hi

I think the following recent advise from Steve Railsback in response to a similar question is relevant:

We routinely run models with > 1,000,000 turtles. There are many reasons why performance can slow rapidly with the number of agents, and they can almost always be avoided. I strongly suggest you consult this paper to determine why your model becomes slow:

http://jasss.soc.surrey.ac.uk/20/1/3.html

When using BehaviorSpace, running it from the command line may be helpful: https://ccl.northwestern.edu/netlogo/docs/behaviorspace.html#advanced-usage

You can increase the amount of memory allocated to NetLogo if you need to: https://ccl.northwestern.edu/netlogo/docs/faq.html#how-big-can-my-model-be-how-many-turtles-patches-procedures-buttons-and-so-on-can-my-model-contain

Aaron

--

Aaron Brandes, Software Developer

Center for Connected Learning and Computer-Based Modeling