Want to participate, how can I help?

Leo B

Jun 8, 2020, 3:55:27 AM6/8/20
to netlogo-devel
Hello,

I learned Netlogo at school decade ago in a class about multi-agent system.
And I loved it.
I still do but haven't had time with adult life to use it in a very very long time.

I was thinking a lot about emergence and multi-agent system recently.
And I, now a fully grown software engineer, was curious about what happened to Netlogo.

I have specialized my carrer in data engineering, Spark and Scala for the last 7 years, with several open source projects and conference talks under my belt.

And what was my surprised when I realized that Netlogo was open source and written in Scala! This is destiny! haha!
I also wanted to go see my old models ! http://modelingcommons.org/account/models/1023 ( is there a way to run them ? somehow ? )

So here is my question, is there anything that I could work on to help ?

I tried to use the web version to have a quick taste of Netlogo again, but it didn't work that well for me.

Is there anything I could do to help the Netlogo web version ?

Regards,
Leo.

Michael Tamillow

Jun 8, 2020, 6:48:03 AM6/8/20
to Leo B, netlogo-devel
I would imagine the place to find that out would be in the Netlogo github pages:

That's typically the first place to start with any open source project.

Find an open issue, try to reproduce it, create a fork, troubleshoot and resolve the issue on your copy of the code, make a pull request, take part in the conversations, and see if the project stakeholders will merge any of your work.

Leo B

Michael Tamillow

Jun 8, 2020, 1:22:43 PM6/8/20
to Leo B, netlogo-devel
Not that I've seen pop up in conversation through this mailing list.

I  recently read a wish list of feature requests from Fernando Sancho.

My suggestion is: write your own extension first for something you think might be cool to integrate into Netlogo. It will get you started with understanding how to interface with Netlogo on the back end.

You can ask usage questions here!

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/netlogo-devel/900fd1f5-d47c-4a5f-8a23-27341a3ced54o%40googlegroups.com.

Seth Tisue

Jun 8, 2020, 4:57:08 PM6/8/20
to netlogo-devel
Note that NetLogo Web specifically is split across two repositories, each with its own issue tracker:

Tortoise is the compiler and runtime engine for NetLogo Web (the compiler is Scala, the engine is CoffeeScript); and Galapagos is the web UI.

I tried to use the web version to have a quick taste of Netlogo again, but it didn't work that well for me.

In what respect(s)?

Seth
(not actively working on NetLogo anymore, but I like to look in on how things are going)