NetLdn12 - The Return of NetLdn!

NetLdn

Sep 24, 2020, 3:56:50 AM9/24/20
to NetLdn
Hi All,

After a long and unexpected break, we are back!

Initially we didn't know what would happen, and we still don't but, what we do now know is that we won't be having any physical meetings for a while. Now that this is clear to us, we feel we shouldn't delay in getting back to our passion of networking for networkers in and around the London area.

Thank you to everyone that attended or helped in some way with all the physical meetups we've held so far. We hope that you enjoyed them, and we hope to get them up and running again as soon as it is safe to do so.

In the meantime, we also look forward to seeing you all at what will be the first in a series of online meetups. As before we will continue to meet on the 2nd Thursday of every month starting at the same time of 19:00 using some online platform.

== NetLdn12 ==

NetLdn12 will be on Thursday the 8th of October 2020 and will be held via Zoom (meeting details will be provided on the day) [1].

As with the physical meetups, we are planning two talks per virtual NetLdn, and at NetLdn12 we expect they'll be plenty of interesting conversation and debate during the Q&A that follows each presentation:

Talk 1: I wanted fast Internet, so I started an ISP

Tim runs a small g-fast ISP for himself and 11 of his neighbours. He's going to tell the story of how he got there!

Presenter: Tim Cox

Talk 2: TBC

TBC

Presenter: TBC

After Talks: Networking for Networkers

After each talk there will be time for Q&A with the presenters, just like at the physical meetups. After the talks everyone is welcome to stay in the meeting root and have a free-for-all chit-chat about whatever is on your mind. This is a bring-your-own drinks and nibbles session [2].
The first talk will begin at 7pm sharp so please join the online meeting before then to ensure a prompt start for the evening.

== Registration ==

We've removed the registrations temporarily. Previously we had an obligation for your physical safety, e.g. the maximum number of people we can safely fit in our physical meet-up room, whilst maintaining a realistic chance of safe exit during a fire. We may have to re-introduce registrations if the virtual meetups are so popular we reach our virtual meeting room limits, please bear with us on this.

== Participating and Contact ==

If you are attending any NetLdn meetup we expect that you have read and agree to the participation policy on the NetLdn website (https://netldn.uk/respect-policy/), we want to keep NetLdn open, friendly, and safe for everyone. This also applies to all NetLdn interactions, for example the mailing list, not just the meetups.

If you want to submit a talk for a future meet-up, any area of networking and any skill level is welcome. Please submit an RFP via the NetLdn website: https://netldn.uk/contact/

If you want to contact the NetLdn team about any issues, concerns or queries please do so via;

Email: he...@netldn.uk
Twitter: @netldn
Slack: netldn.slack.com

Many thanks and we hope to see you all soon,
The NetLdn Team.

[1] Why Zoom? It's now tried and tested by many groups (such as UKNOF and NetMcr) and proven to work well. It's also so common that most people have used it by now and either have the desktop client installed or are familiar with the browser-based user experience. Additionally, it can be used entirely in the browser if you wish, meaning no desktop app install is required. We will trial it for NetLdn12, if that works well and we decide to continue using it, we can explicitly choose which Zoom data centres (which countries) are used for hosting the meetings.

[2] Unlike the physical meetups which were in a pub there is no age limit to attend virtual NetLdn, and we encourage all ages to attend! Please note however, you must supply your own drinks and nibbles during the networking session after the presentations. During this time, we don't encourage profanities, but they can and do happen and this is outside of our control. Furthermore, alcohol is not required to be drunk but likely will be drunk by virtual attendees. If the presence of either of these things offends you, please consider this carefully before joining the meetings.

NetLdn

Oct 8, 2020, 1:40:04 PM10/8/20
to NetLdn
Hi All,

Please find the Zoom meeting details below, the meeting will open at 7PM UK/London time;

Please don't forget to set your name when you join the session.