Ibay - Shared folders help needed - hosting a website

warren midgley

Jan 21, 2015, 11:18:19 AM1/21/15
to neths...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Firstly, I would like to say what an amazing job everybody involved in NethServer  is doing.

This is my first post so please be gentle with me :-)

I used to use SME server so am familiar with ibays, from what I understand NethServer uses shared folders.

So my question is, If I wanted to create a new shared folder to host an externally accessible website.  How would I do this and where would I put the web pages?

Thanks in advance,

Warren

Filippo Carletti

Jan 21, 2015, 11:49:08 AM1/21/15
to warren midgley, neths...@googlegroups.com
> I used to use SME server so am familiar with ibays, from what I understand
> NethServer uses shared folders.

While the name is different, the concepts are the same: sme's ibays
and nethserver's shared folders are equivalent.
Here's the manual, maybe it needs to be expanded a bit. :-)

> So my question is, If I wanted to create a new shared folder to host an
> externally accessible website. How would I do this and where would I put
> the web pages?

Pre-requisite is to have installed the web server. Then it will appear
a tab named Web access in every shared folders to configure web
access.
File can be uploaded with samba or ftp (if installed), or scp/sftp.
The document root is the root of the ibay (in sme is the html directory).

Let us know how you feel using thie feature. Thanks in advance.

--
Ciao,
Filippo

Warren Midgley

Jan 21, 2015, 12:55:54 PM1/21/15
to Filippo Carletti, neths...@googlegroups.com

Thanks so much for the speedy response Filippo ☺

Sorry I missed this information from the documentation.

Filippo Carletti

Jan 21, 2015, 1:08:00 PM1/21/15
to Warren Midgley, neths...@googlegroups.com
> Thanks so much for the speedy response Filippo ☺

You're welcome. Any comment is welcome. :-)

--
Ciao,
Filippo

Alessio Fattorini

Feb 20, 2015, 11:41:21 AM2/20/15
to neths...@googlegroups.com
On 21/01/2015 17:18, warren midgley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Firstly, I would like to say what an amazing job everybody involved in
> NethServer is doing.

Hi Warren, thank you for your words and sorry for delay.
I'll be gentle with you, don't worry!
You can put your files into the root of the shared folder and activate
Web Access properly
More info here:
http://docs.nethserver.org/en/latest/shared_folder.html?highlight=shared%20folder#web-access

--