Why is membership of this group moderated?

Adrian Cockcroft

Apr 19, 2013, 3:50:40 AM4/19/13
to netflix-oss...@googlegroups.com
I got this question today.

I'm approving most requests to join in less than a day. It seemed like a reasonable option to use for people who have entered the prize to discuss what they are doing, but I'm happy to reconsider if people think this should be an open group for anyone to post in.

Adrian

Adrian Cole

Apr 19, 2013, 10:23:44 AM4/19/13
to Adrian Cockcroft, netflix-oss...@googlegroups.com
I'd leave it moderated unless you miss spam :)

ralph tice

Apr 19, 2013, 5:46:50 PM4/19/13
to netflix-oss...@googlegroups.com, Adrian Cockcroft
I don't have any spam issues on any of the other Google Groups I belong to, the main point in asking was whether membership was being restricted to "active participants" and if so what that constituted.

Seems pretty low volume so far so I wasn't sure what the expectation for usage was here, especially relative to # of stars / forks on github.  I feel like the prize nature makes people less willing to discuss what they're doing in the open, which seems counter to the OSS nature of the projects but maybe more people will come out of the woodwork as the summer progresses.

Adrian Cole

Apr 19, 2013, 6:30:54 PM4/19/13
to ralph tice, netflix-oss...@googlegroups.com, Adrian Cockcroft
Thanks for the feedback.  If I were submitting, I'd probably be collaborating on github vs this mailing list, TBH.  I've seen cloudprize chatter on individual project lists and definitely irc.

I think this group was more about having a catch all place for anything other channels arent better for.

I'm sure things like how ppl communicate when $10k prizes are at stake is an interesting social aspect we will discover through this.  The social study of cloud prize and its juxtaposition with open source could make for an interesting blog!

Best.
-A

Patrick Connolly

Jul 23, 2013, 1:05:37 PM7/23/13
to netflix-oss...@googlegroups.com, ralph tice, Adrian Cockcroft
>  I feel like the prize nature makes people less willing to discuss what they're doing in the open, which seems counter to the OSS nature of the projects

Had the exact same thought. Would be great if there were a criterion that rewarded open source collaborative efforts -- ie active coordination and collaboration in open queues. I can imagine that the logistics of that would be a nightmare, but I can't help but think it would be the right think to do :)

Adrian Cockcroft

Aug 20, 2013, 6:07:40 PM8/20/13
to netflix-oss...@googlegroups.com, ralph tice, Adrian Cockcroft
We did write into the judging critera that work that is used by other people gets extra credit, so if you build something and others build on top of it, you get credit for providing a foundation. There's several prize categories so it shouldn't be a "zero sum game".

Adrian