Questions about NetDispenser

David Bucknell

Mar 22, 2018, 4:01:57 AM3/22/18
to Charles Cossé, NetDispenser
Dear Charlies,

In our school, the students' wi-fi goes via a dns server running on windows 2000 and then through a state filter before it gets to the Web.  They are not open to putting anything in front of the filter ... so far.  Ideas?

David
--
David M. Bucknell

C. Cossé

Mar 22, 2018, 11:12:32 AM3/22/18
to NetDispenser
Hi David,

So the NetDispenser's default configuration is WiFi-to-WiFi, and it would connect to that same DNS server as would any student phone.  You, or anyone, would not need special accommodation by the IT department.

In a home-use scenario the parent would just lock the kids out of the main home router (via the config panel broadcast by the router) so that they can only connect through the ND.  That's as easy as not telling them the password to the home router.

In a school-use scenario, without any accommodations by the IT dept, they could connect directly to the schools WiFi, or through the ND, which is also connected to the school's WiFi.  The ND is a pass-through device, aka a WiFi repeater.  It's a middle-man but you don't need special permission from IT to use it, it would just show-up as an additional access point.  So the "reward" of internet access gets nullified as they can just connect as before and they're online.  The simplest solution is just to appeal to students to "play along" and do it your way, i.e. through the ND.

This may sound a bit totalitarian to some people, i.e. restrictions, denial of access to information, etc ... so perhaps it's worth recalling the original use-case, which was to periodically supplement video games and internet surfing with something educational.  And to remember that it can be turned on/off anytime the parent (teacher) likes, so that it only serves as a tool when you want to use it.  Some might choose to leave it on always, as I did, others might not.  But it's not about totalitarianism so much as just "read this article first, before you dive back into video game land, or whatever".

I'm still planning to make a reusable presentation in the next couple days, and will address this there.  It's a good question, for sure, and the real answer is that the ND was developed primarily for home use, but we frequently find ourselves discussing in a school context and this is an issue that we have yet to totally work out.

-Charlie

David Bucknell

Mar 22, 2018, 8:20:12 PM3/22/18
to NetDispenser
Thank you, Charlie. 1.) Now, I am inside the tech dept., not at odds with them, and they are very interested in whether they can offer ND as an optional service to teachers.  I know it's not the original use-case, and I'm sorry for that, but could we put the software on a router (or server?) and point students' network at it?  2.) I'll find a way to present to the PTA head for home-use, too.

Take care,

David

David M. Bucknell
91-173 Ewa Beach Rd., Ewa Beach, HI 96706

C. Cossé

Mar 22, 2018, 10:01:23 PM3/22/18
to NetDispenser
Wow David, that is just flat-out awesome!   If they are interested then there exists a way.  Most home routers don't have a user-accessible OS underneath, remember in our earlier days when you found the eBox for us ... that was a major step forward because we were building our own routers at that point, i.e. Linux machines configured as routers and broadcasting WiFi ... which is still what we've got, only on the RPi's nowadays.    Prior to you finding the eBox (and that was before RPi's even existed) the ND used Open-Wrt and flashed a Linksys router, but there wasn't enough extra space to run all the stuff, namely Django and Apache.  That's the space-consuming part of the ND, well that and the underlying Linux system, currently Debian, previously Gentoo.  It's no problem deviating from the original use case ... we can be agile and flexible, and you are actually pioneering new terrain w.r.t. using in schools.  If a workable solution for schools comes out of it then hooray!  We need that.  Our schools are on Spring Break this week.  The PTA is an excellent idea, too.  I had not thought to try to present it to them.  That's an excellent idea!  Another thing that occurred to me this afternoon is that for every 1 school there are 500+ students with home routers.  I'm all for finding a solution for schools though, equally with the home use case.   It can work well for both.  Anyway, getting reusable slides and maybe a video ready for you and others is my top priority this weekend.  Great news and fingers crossed!
-Charlie

On Thursday, March 22, 2018 at 6:20:12 PM UTC-6, David Bucknell wrote:
Thank you, Charlie. 1.) Now, I am inside the tech dept., not at odds with them, and they are very interested in whether they can offer ND as an optional service to teachers.  I know it's not the original use-case, and I'm sorry for that, but could we put the software on a router (or server?) and point students' network at it?  2.) I'll find a way to present to the PTA head for home-use, too.

Take care,

David

David Bucknell

Mar 23, 2018, 11:16:54 PM3/23/18
to NetDispenser
Cool ideas, as usual, Charles. I am going to have to get my hands dirty, I see; I mean, what good would a presentation be without a practical follow-up?

Oh, my!

David