FSF Ridiculosity

C. Cossé

Jun 3, 2018, 2:35:53 PM6/3/18
to NetDispenser
Greetings All,

So I've exchanged more than 50 emails with the FSF over the past year, emploring them to help make this project better, or publicly endorse it, or something.  Anything.  After all, a solid 50% of my goal with the project has been to make FS4E development appealing and viable by creating incentive.  (FS4E = Free Software For Education).  Last month Richard Stallman told me that FSF could support the project IF we found an alternative to the Raspberry Pi and didn't use Debian.  Uhh.  Of course that side of the project is not the part that encourages FS4E, exactly, so that feels like overstepping their position just a little.  However, why not keep trying? I asked myself, and so I offered to oblige them on those points as best I could.  Yesterday I got a new transmission from FSF and it turns out that the promotional video I put up last month cannot be on YouTube in order for FSF to support the project.  But that's not all!  They also object to having the project on GitHub!  They advised me to fix all these things and then get back to them and "convince them to support the project".

I believe this puts the project back on "hold" until further notice.

Meanwhile FSF continues to participate with Google Summer of Code without any apparent confliction, while simultaneously advocating that everyone boycot Facebook.  Hahahaha (x1E9), i.e. "A Billion Laughs".

Closing with some videos (evil youtube videos) in which Linux Torvalds offers his views on the FSF:

kirby urner

Jun 4, 2018, 6:34:59 PM6/4/18
to NetDispenser
On Sun, Jun 3, 2018 at 11:35 AM, C. Cossé <cco...@gmail.com> wrote:

They also object to having the project on GitHub!  They advised me to fix all these things and then get back to them and "convince them to support the project".

​Wow, such a long list of objections.  FSF seems to live in a somewhat insular world?

I wouldn't have thought Github was a problem, of all things.  Then I read this news:

So is it that old enmity, between FOSS and Microsoft?  Lots of politics, clearly.

​Anyway, I think you've done a really good job making your idea public, which means the patent-minded will have a much harder time trying to turn it into IP for just themselves.

I took a similar approach with my "gambling for charity"​ (be a hero for worthy causes, turns Video Lottery, used for state funding, on its head).

I didn't want anyone saying I had no right to develop it further because I was infringing on some patent.

So I made sure to put the whole business plan in the commons (called Coffee Shops Network, just a blog at this point, but who knows what it might become with some care and attention?).

You've done something similar.  Good work!

Kirby

C. Cossé

Jun 9, 2018, 10:48:07 AM6/9/18
to netdis...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, June 4, 2018 at 3:34:59 PM UTC-7, kirby urner wrote:
On Sun, Jun 3, 2018 at 11:35 AM, C. Cossé <cco...@gmail.com> wrote:

They also object to having the project on GitHub!  They advised me to fix all these things and then get back to them and "convince them to support the project".

I wouldn't have thought Github was a problem, of all things.  Then I read this news:

So is it that old enmity, between FOSS and Microsoft?  Lots of politics, clearly.

Certainly a significant event in tech history.  Hitherto unimaginable to me.  You know they only bought it in order to get their hands on that NetDispenser code!

It's kind of like if Russia were to buy the CIA.

​Anyway, I think you've done a really good job making your idea public, which means the patent-minded will have a much harder time trying to turn it into IP for just themselves.

And they can hire our developers!

I took a similar approach with my "gambling for charity"​ (be a hero for worthy causes, turns Video Lottery, used for state funding, on its head).

I didn't want anyone saying I had no right to develop it further because I was infringing on some patent.

So I made sure to put the whole business plan in the commons (called Coffee Shops Network, just a blog at this point, but who knows what it might become with some care and attention?).

You've done something similar.  Good work!

Thanks :)

Stay subscribed to this group, though, as it's status is just "on-hold".

Kirby