Email to Sugar Labs

Charles Cossé

Jun 11, 2017, 9:02:23 PM6/11/17
to NetDispenser
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Charles Cossé <cco...@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 7:00 PM
Subject: L-earning
To: Sugar-dev Devel <sugar...@lists.sugarlabs.org>

Dear Sugar-dev community,

Hello, my name is Charles Cosse and I'm writing to you from Las Cruces, New Mexico.  I've just traced through Sugarizer-related emails since 2013 in preparation to write to you here.  I also worked with Lionel to develop a Sugarizer activity and presented some other Sugarizer activities at PyCon 2017 in Portland a couple weeks ago, ported to a credit-earning platform.

Basically, I've developed this system that's pretty foolproof and motivates kids to make a strong effort during computer activities.  It's a Raspberry-Pi3 AccessPoint and CreditMeter, all-in-one.  There's also a central, whitelisted credit-earning website.  Otherwise, kids are firewalled-in until they use their hard-earned credits to gain full internet access.  It's nothing profound, but it does work extremely well and thus should have value for other parents / families out there.  Keyword: value.

As a parent I would have subscribed $10/mo for such capability as provided by this platform.  And as an activity developer I would have gladly accepted $5 of that to fund more development.  But hey!  It's just Sugar(izer) Labs with a "gimmick" in the middle which (1) motivates kids and (2) provides incentives for new and continued development. In short, it could be a new kind of fuel.  Maybe even a little green router someday?

The main connection to Sugar Labs (Sugarizer) is that all of those Sugarizer apps (present and future) could be dual-purposed to work with the credit-earning subscription system with good effects all around, i.e. value to parent, compensation to developer, education to kids, community interaction.  Web apps just need some concept of a goal or a score to reach in order to earn some configured amount of internet time (credits 1 credit = 1 second).   I've done this with a few apps now and it's straightforward.

My motivation is to see this eco-system-around-a-credit-meter concept actually work.  I want to be one of the developers vying for part of those subscriptions.  I believe this is one possible way to realize more of the vast ocean of unrealized potential w.r.t. education software out there.

Would there be any interest among members of this list?

Best regards from New Mexico,
Charles

David Bucknell

Jun 12, 2017, 12:26:46 AM6/12/17
to netdis...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it does seem like this type of free software community would get it.  Good idea to write them / follow up.

David
Jun 12, 2017, 1:51:28 PM6/12/17
to NetDispenser

Email to Edutopia June 12, 2017:

Dear Edutopia Community,

I am writing to invite your participation in a project that has kids earn their internet access by completing online activities.  We are looking for early adopters of our Raspberry-Pi platform as well as interested researchers.

It works like this: a specially-configured Raspberry-Pi (raspberrypi.org) becomes your child's new internet access point.  Only they must use their hard-earned credits to gain access, otherwise the R-Pi device firewalls them in.  To earn credits they visit a whitelisted credit-earning website.

The credit-meter acts as a single point of motivation and elicits a strong effort, albeit in order to earn time online, largely independent of the particular activity.   It's a good way to supplement that video game time with the sense of pride that comes from earning.

Our bigger vision is to create an open subscription service where parents distribute a modest subscription fee among activity developers of their choice, thereby stimulating new and continued activity development.  Existing web activities can be integrated with a minimum of wrapper-code that talks to our credit-earning platform.  All activities are licensed under a recognized Free software license [1].

If this interests you then please join our fledgling Google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/netdispenser

Also I'd be happy to provide more information or discuss further here.

Best regards from New Mexico,

Charles Cosse

[1] GPLv3, Creative Commons, Apache2, MIT, etc

Charles Cossé

Jun 12, 2017, 4:42:15 PM6/12/17
to NetDispenser
Email to OpenWrt June 11 2017
Re: Are there any routers on the market with enough free disk space for Credit Meter software under OpenWrt?

Dear OpenWrt Community,

We have a project that's using a Raspberry-Pi3 configured as a router, but we're interested to switch to dedicated routing hardware running OpenWrt ... if only there is an available router that has enough disk space after flashing.

We need to run a Django website and some Python3 daemons to control iptables.  Could anyone suggest a product that would work?

The project has kids earn their internet access by completing activities.  It's a great way to supplement their educations.  OpenWrt forum won't let me post a link, but you are invited to join our google discussion group named "NetDispenser".

Thank you,
Charles