Recent musings...

kirby urner

Jul 7, 2017, 2:30:33 PM7/7/17
to NetDispenser

I found myself introducing NetDispenser psychology
at the outset of summer camp, 2nd thru 8th graders,
about seven.  Small windowless room in a strip mall.
HDTV to project, Chrome notebooks for each student.

https://flic.kr/p/Vg2wEp

"Our purpose" (paraphrase) "is to get ya'll addicted
to Scratch so your parents will give you unlimited
time on the Internet, because they see your progress
as programmers."  I said this with parents and
grandparents present, with a wink in my eye.

But then how would a real NetDispenser [tm]
know to reward time programming Scratch. Just
measuring activity over the wire with that IP number
(domain) would be a possibility.  A thermometer on
the local NetReceiver app racks up the credits.
But there may be no telling how much actual
programming was accomplished, versus just
running a loop and running outside.  Which might
be a better thing to be doing.

Kirby

Charles Cossé

Jul 7, 2017, 7:04:33 PM7/7/17
to NetDispenser

On Friday, July 7, 2017 at 12:30:33 PM UTC-6, kirby urner wrote:

I found myself introducing NetDispenser psychology
"Our purpose" (paraphrase) "is to get ya'll addicted
to Scratch so your parents will give you unlimited
time on the Internet, because they see your progress
as programmers."  I said this with parents and
grandparents present, with a wink in my eye.

Bet they hadn't considered that scenario :)

But then how would a real NetDispenser [tm]
know to reward time programming Scratch. Just
measuring activity over the wire with that IP number
(domain) would be a possibility.  A thermometer on
the local NetReceiver app racks up the credits.
But there may be no telling how much actual
programming was accomplished, versus just
running a loop and running outside.  Which might
be a better thing to be doing.

Do you know what the web version of Scratch is written in?

At the sub-minimal level you could wrap it in an iframe complete with some "timer" code to message the credit-feeder website after a certain elapsed time.  The whole thing loses its purpose at that point, since that approach is intrinsically flawed (thinking they'll be constructive if you just make them sit there for "x"amount of time, BUT you could even wrap a remote app in that way, as well.  Otherwise it needs two things, the concept of a goal and to send a message to the iframe's parent that goal achieved.  So you could make the goal to create something in Scratch using at least 5 of those snap-together objects (idk if that's a good #), and only need to add something in the function which executes their (Scratch) product which counts how many objects they used and if it runs, then sends the message.

-Charles