re: endorsements and campaigns

Charles Cossé

Aug 28, 2017, 7:22:26 PM8/28/17
to NetDispenser
HI Folks,

Still not dead, and still no endorsements ... but!  Two emails recently arrived inquiring about campaigns and assistance.  They are from FSF, Free Software Foundation and LANL/SN, Los Alamos and Sandia Nat'l Labs.  Both ask for more clarifications at the moment, but both are also listening, which is good, so I'm going to use the opportunity.  LANL wrote re funding a small business.  I'm going to ask if there's a way they can fund an economic engine, ie. this project.  With LANL endorsement we could get a lot of STEM departments interested.  What do you think?

-Charles

kirby urner

Aug 29, 2017, 3:55:04 PM8/29/17
to Charles Cossé, NetDispenser

[ note to reader:  lots of science fiction fantasy mixed in, 'Black Mirror' is a TV show ]

In my own thinking I've come to see there's a generic model involving compensation for measurable work accomplished, not a new idea, and the nuts and bolts specific software Charles has come up with, a place to start with real value added.   Kudos to Charles!  I enjoyed co-staffing the booth at Pycon 2017, with a working Raspberry Pi as router.  I endorse his idea.

There's global interest in crypto-currencies which, in a way, we're sort of flirting with in making "time on the internet" the reward for "tokens" (bird feed) sent to specific accounts.  Johnny plays X for Y time to win Z lives good towards free time goofing off in cyberspace -- free time which may prove just as valuable i.e. what they choose to do should not be dismissed, but nor must we track everything they do (the model allows them some privacy too).

In some "White Mirror" episode (an imagined TV show, less dark), we have those skyscrapers full of "work-study carrels" and thanks to some hours spent being brainwashed (in a good way), actively participating in one's own education, with a combination of rewarded and discretionary activities, the cafeteria card gets charged up in my name.  We also update the transcript / resume.

Not everything can be taught in skyscrapers, I know that well, but even truck driving or piloting watercraft will have its on-line components. I'll have access to the gym floor, the cafeteria floor, the recreational floor, thanks to credits I've accumulated doing my customized training.

Again, that's the general science fiction model.  We don't wanna pay in cash because then we lose track of who or what pretty quickly.

If only I can redeem the tokens I earned by learning to read Japanese, I can still use all that ramen bought in the commissary to feed a family at home i.e. once I've converted my reward tokens into food I'm free to share that food with others.  I might not need to use all the food tokens in all you can eat the cafeteria (no take out).

Only the really strict guest worker programs might insist on that (for my own safety?), that I stay inside and not venture to bring any "family".  Going outside might get bleak.  Are we on Mars?

Kirby

Charles Cossé

Aug 30, 2017, 12:13:55 AM8/30/17
to NetDispenser, cco...@gmail.com
Hi Kirby, that was colorful!   I'm glad that not only society, but this project survives in that scenario.

On Tuesday, August 29, 2017 at 1:55:04 PM UTC-6, kirby urner wrote:

In my own thinking I've come to see there's a generic model involving compensation for measurable work accomplished, not a new idea, and the nuts and bolts specific software Charles has come up with, a place to start with real value added.   Kudos to Charles!  I enjoyed co-staffing the booth at Pycon 2017, with a working Raspberry Pi as router.  I endorse his idea.

There's an upcoming Int'l Edu conf in Vancouver in November ... I was hoping to apply and maybe team-up again, but I'm not quite ready.  There are more coming when we're ready.

There's global interest in crypto-currencies which, in a way, we're sort of flirting with in making "time on the internet" the reward for "tokens" (bird feed) sent to specific accounts.  Johnny plays X for Y time to win Z lives good towards free time goofing off in cyberspace -- free time which may prove just as valuable i.e. what they choose to do should not be dismissed, but nor must we track everything they do (the model allows them some privacy too).

Just an idea, but the 2D Barcode assoc'd with Bitcoin wallets could be another way to transfer credits.  Idk the details, but it's a currency _made_ for that kind of transferring, so something can be made to work there, should we get there.

I have a phone meeting tomorrow with LANL/SNL.  I read over a program overview document which they sent, and it's primarily geared towards them providing professional services that aren't available for reasonable cost on the open market.   Like they'll help out with up to $20k in laser spectroscopy services.  Or in our case, I'd like them to help us succeed by using their connections to promote the project, and perhaps some MOU which allows us to merely say that LANL/SNL think it's a good idea.    Did not yet reply to the FSF inquiry.

In an effort to get wrapped-up and back on-track myself, I hired a cartoon artist to help with the graphics of the re-branded game I described earlier, the one intended to attract people to this project.  So really pushing to get these things implemented and move forward.

Attached is a screenshot of another project I'm working on ... data over web sockets.  Afaik that's the first SVG 2D lego plot in the world.   It grows dynamically with data received over a web-socket connection.   It has 8 plot types, including a "map" type, which plots lat/lng and associated meta data.  @Kirby -- this is that LAN-Watch project as a data plotting application.  I'm not sure if I can do everything LAN-Watch did this way, but I saw the way to make the 2D turntable widgets in SVG and thus had to build this alongside other things to ensure that the plot widgets be interchangeable.  Anyway just sharing a screenshot of the lego plot widget.

-Charles
d3plot_081617c.png

Charles Cossé

Aug 30, 2017, 1:16:34 PM8/30/17
to NetDispenser
Here is the letter I just sent to FSF:

Hi <X>,

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 3:50 PM, <clip> via RT <camp...@fsf.org> wrote:

You're looking for an official endorsement from RMS and/or the FSF for your project?

Yes.

A little more clarity around what you're hoping for from us--advice, endorsement, fiscal sponsorship, etc--would be helpful.

I believe that the correct home for this project is the FSF.  I would like FSF to actually adopt the project as FSF's own, as the project is specifically designed to stimulate Edu-FLS development.

Please allow me to make brief historical digression:  in 2001 I was a parent, software engineer and physics grad student, simultaneously.  I saw PyGame and Linux and Free Software in general as the future of education.  At the time there was a lot of flailing and non-technical people / educators scrambling to find ways to incorporate technology into classrooms ... all that stuff.  There was lots of money going to nothing, in the end, too.  I got involved locally and tried to put my money where my mouth is and show what could be done with free software.  So I developed this game that continues today, called TuxMathScrabble (GPL, 2001).  What I'm saying is that since 2001 I've been not only an active advocate of GPL'd software, but have also been searching for a way to make Edu-FLS development a viable occupation, at least to some extent.   This project can provide incentive to develop Edu-FLS, and further keeps the user and developer communities in communication around a physical device.   The other thing is that from a parent's perspective the device really works as advertised; that is, kids are compelled to make an effort and actual learning thus takes place, whereas any other system lacks such capability.   I think it has all the ingredients of a successful ecosystem.

So I've been looking for ways to make Edu-FLS development a viable pastime for seventeen years now, just as a personal challenge / mission.   I presented it again at PyCon2017 and there is plenty of interest and interested parents to fuel the system.  It could be a great opportunity for FSF visibility, to be seen doing something truly "divergent" and new.  It would provide a new realm for education research, as well.  I've got lots of energy left for something like this and offer myself, as well.  But this is not a project about my ego.  It's something that really works for teaching kids, and should really work to stimulate Edu-FLS, and thus I continue to promote it simply because "who else will otherwise?".   But FSF/RMS endorsement/adoption would send the reassuring signal that the project is aligned with FSF values and thus alleviate many reservations of would-be developers.

Please feel free to call, you or anyone, if it is preferable: 010-101-1011.  I'm glad that we remain in touch over this, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Sincerely,
Charles Cosse