More thinking on the model...

kirby urner

Apr 1, 2018, 10:19:21 PM4/1/18
to NetDispenser

I'm newly putting some of my writings behind a paywall in Medium, but that doesn't prevent non-members from reading my stuff. In fact, I'm not a member myself yet.

Members are the ones who get to reward the best readings, i.e. writers, which is like parents getting to bias their subscriptions in favor of the talents they most appreciate.  Their feedback regarding articles is more what matters.

Which brings up the question: will students under no restrictions w/r to credits i.e. will students with effectively  unlimited access, be prevented from accessing the bird feeders?

Parents outside the subscription system might benefit just as much from what the bird feeders teach, with or without any subscription.

That might be a good way to promote the full API.

Would-be subscribers see there's lots of quality behind the paywall, and realize their students' access to other stuff could be contingent upon at least appreciating what's here. The family might agree to try the experiment, for a month at least.

That sounds like the right role for a parent.  They want their kids to experience what they consider to be quality content. They get a metric they trust.

As you know, I'm all about wanting kids to know about the Bucky Fuller concentric hierarchy of polyhedrons (obscure topic! -- but why?) which is exactly what I'm writing about on Medium.

Parents in my camp (perhaps newly recruited) will be better better positioned to reward me and my ilk, should they agree their kids would / could / should benefit from what I offer.

Kirby

C. Cossé

Apr 2, 2018, 12:14:11 PM4/2/18
to NetDispenser

On Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 8:19:21 PM UTC-6, kirby urner wrote:

I'm newly putting some of my writings behind a paywall in Medium, but that doesn't prevent non-members from reading my stuff. In fact, I'm not a member myself yet.

Members are the ones who get to reward the best readings, i.e. writers, which is like parents getting to bias their subscriptions in favor of the talents they most appreciate.  Their feedback regarding articles is more what matters.

Which brings up the question: will students under no restrictions w/r to credits i.e. will students with effectively  unlimited access, be prevented from accessing the bird feeders?

No, the credit-feeder website is online and wide-open to anyone, anywhere.   In the case of a student behind the credit-meter, the credit-feeder is still a white-listed site.  Participating via subscription allows parents to 1) have an account type with which a remote credit-meter can communicate and transfer earned credits, and 2) distribute their subscription fee among developer(s) of their choice, and 3) vote.  The software for all of this was in place in a previous incarnation of the platform named "AutoTeach" which you may recall, but when you and I went to PyCon2017 I rewrote the whole thing for the mission at-hand, i.e. demo at PyCon, and the subscriber interface, paypal subscription system, voting ... all of that isn't in the latest version at present.  And, as you know I've been using d3js almost exclusively since PyCon2017 and the current ND platform is all JQuery and Bootstrap.  So I'm planning to rewrite it in d3js, since it's a single include which enables one to do everything JQuery does and much more.  Same goes for future web apps, everything can be done in pure d3js.

Parents outside the subscription system might benefit just as much from what the bird feeders teach, with or without any subscription.

That might be a good way to promote the full API.

Yes, and I'm advocating that developers opt-in by writing their activities to be easily portable out of the ND platform.  That's easy to do, I've been able to take other people's apps, primarily from the Sugarizer project, and incorporate them into the ND with a minimal amount of code up-top.  This way a developer only stands to gain from possible subscriber support, and can re-purpose existing apps to integrate with ND and take whatever they develop with them outside the platform.

Would-be subscribers see there's lots of quality behind the paywall, and realize their students' access to other stuff could be contingent upon at least appreciating what's here. The family might agree to try the experiment, for a month at least.

That sounds like the right role for a parent.  They want their kids to experience what they consider to be quality content. They get a metric they trust.

As you know, I'm all about wanting kids to know about the Bucky Fuller concentric hierarchy of polyhedrons (obscure topic! -- but why?) which is exactly what I'm writing about on Medium.

You know that you can login right now and create assignments with the current selection of activities, including the "NowReadThis" (formerly "ForceReader") activity, and assign them to students?  There's even a Buckminster Fuller reading assignment on there already, albeit just a couple paragraphs pasted from Wikipedia and 2-3 accompanying pics of him.  The NowReadThis activity is high on my priority list to re-develop in pure d3js and to make separable/portable outside the ND platform, as well.  But it's best, of course, when used with the ND because only then can a parent/teacher keep track of whether the activity was completed.