BBC Article: Children consuming online time 'like junk food'

Charles Cossé

Aug 6, 2017, 4:08:10 AM8/6/17
to NetDispenser

David Bucknell

Aug 7, 2017, 8:14:06 AM8/7/17
to Charles Cossé, NetDispenser
Excellent, Charles.  What's the next step?

David

On Sun, Aug 6, 2017 at 3:08 PM, Charles Cossé <cco...@gmail.com> wrote:

David M. Bucknell
9/64 M.2. D. Sala Daeng, A. Muang Angthong, J. Angthong, Thailand 14000

Charles Cossé

Aug 8, 2017, 11:07:52 AM8/8/17
to NetDispenser
Well, maintaining our current momentum should be easy, so long as we don't try to divide by it or anything :)

Let's see ... it (the project) is not dead yet, for starters.  We went to PyCon, everyone thought it was a good idea and several people wanted one.  But we have not yet built a community ... many of the reasons being self-evident, i.e. complex pitch, still only 1/4-baked, lack of ported activities ... etc.  So I pondered the landscape for a while, sought inspiration from a book (Originals by Adam Grant),  and half-heartedly reached-out to a couple more free-software communities.  I say "half-heartedly" because I spent a lot of energy in the past trying to get FSF and Richard Stallman, personally, onboard and on-the-record as endorsing the credit-meter-ecosystem idea as a means to generate Edu-FLS, but without the success I was after.   So there is an ongoing need to "reach-out", of course, but running such campaigns/conversations takes energy from other efforts.

So I located the biggest rabbit-hole(s) I could find and jumped-in: re-adding animated penguins to TuxMathScrabble web app, re-developing TuxMathScrabble entirely in D3js, re-developing ColorMyWorld entirely in D3js, re-developing (and expanding) a network surveillance tool in D3js ... basically I've been trying to master D3js.  With success!  Software development lately has been like:  "Roll in the gurney with the next D3js example.  Cut-it-up into parts and apply those various parts to various projects under-way."

I'm working on two projects right now: A re-branded TuxMathScrabble, GIS software and a cyber-security tool, all implemented entirely with D3js (no jquery, no bootstrap, no other deps).  The new game, in particular, is the hold-up before I resume "reaching-out" with respect to this project.  My thinking is to have a good new product to attract attention to the NetDispenser project.  I'm building the game into the NetDispenser, by default.  It's just a javascript webapp, but the concept of earning credits is present in the design from the outset.  Here is a video of the penguin animation framework I developed so far: https://youtu.be/QvoN77mIcQU I'm still planning to make it more lively ala Sonny-the Cuckoo Bird (Cocoa Puffs commercials).   It should all be complete soon.

So does that sound like a plan, or what?  (semi-sarcasm)  We have a working prototype.  We've got a procedure for easily integrating any Edu-Web-App out there by wrapping in an iFrame.  Other things, like figuring out banking to pay developers, have pending ideas which need to be explored, i.e. Patreon and the like.  I claim to have a cool new game coming which planning to use to promote NetDispenser.  My game diversion might not be the obvious fastest route to community building, I realize, but now is a good opportunity to implement animated graphics in D3 and thus learn D3 at the same time.

On Monday, August 7, 2017 at 6:14:06 AM UTC-6, David Bucknell wrote:
Excellent, Charles.  What's the next step?

For me, find my way out of the rabbit-holes I've entered (TuxMathScabble, Cyber-security tool, GIS projects) and emerge with a host of new products and capabilities.  Then wrap a bunch of other people's webapps, write to them and explain that we're investigating if possible to make money (them) this way, and basically start talking-it-up again.

I am open to advice here, and there is some time for strategic planning.  Your thoughts, anyone?

-Charles