Passive WDM in netbox

Daniel Söderström

Apr 29, 2020, 11:06:47 AM4/29/20
to NetBox

Hi all,

I’m trying to document a passive WDM system in NetBox, the closest fit seems to be using front and rear ports if you want the cable trace to work. Where front ports are wavelength/channels and rear port is the “line” or connection to the optical infrastructure. But I’m not allowed to connect a rear (8-position, 8 positions because of the 8 channels in the passive WDM) port to 1 front port of a ODF because the ratio is 8-1 on the number of cables.

A workaround is documenting the WDM as you would a switch, but then I lose the cable trace.

Anyone got any other solutions how to document a WDM using netbox?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Daniel

Dan Murphy

Apr 30, 2020, 1:12:41 PM4/30/20
to NetBox
Hey Dan,

If you upgrade to the latest version there is support for modeling MUX units as such.

We actually model our MUXs (both CWDM and DWDM) this way.

Tip: make sure that your rear port is set to the number of front ports you are attaching.

--Dan

markus...@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2021, 2:42:17 PM9/16/21
to NetBox
How do you config a device-type like a cwdm 8 channel?

lundgr...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2021, 9:09:54 AM9/17/21
to NetBox
You configure as you said, one device.

Create two DWM devices, and on both;
- one rear port with 9 positions.
- 9 front ports named 1310, 1470, 1490, 1490, 1510, 1530, 1550, 1570, 1590, 1610
- front ports are mapped to the single rear port in the position typed above.

Then you connect the rear ports to each other on both devices.
Then you connect something in the front ports on the same positions.

Dan Murphy

Sep 17, 2021, 10:40:20 AM9/17/21
to NetBox
Wow, this is an oldie! April 2020 was a wild time!

We ran into an issue around 2.5 IIRC that stopped us from tracing MUX connectivity over circuits.
So, our current NetBox data structure (running 2.9.1) looks pretty similar to a patch panel, with a 'logical' `rear port` and a 'physical' `interface`, the latter of which traces properly through our wild network, the former of which traces MUX to MUX (assuming your Z end is documented in NetBox).

Give me a shout if you want a more verbose explanation.