Fiber duplex vs simplex.

Jonathan Karras

Jan 6, 2021, 2:57:20 PM1/6/21
to NetBox
How do others map their fiber patch panels.

For example, we primarily have LC connections with duplex ports. These are primarily added with standard duplex links like with a standard 1GBase-LR or 10G-BaseLR connection. Occasionally we use BX or PON optics which only use a single strand in the duplex. This kind of messes up the nice 1:1 mapping for duplex connections leaving spare fibers not modeled properly.

What do others do in this situation?

Jonathan

Brian Candler

Jan 6, 2021, 3:46:27 PM1/6/21
to NetBox
Currently I ignore the problem, and treat each fibre pair as a single "connection" on a single "port".  If we start mixing in some BiDi then I'll think I'll be forced to split "ports" as required, e.g. 1 becomes 1A and 1B, which will be messy, especially as it'll involve adding extra rearport-to-rearport cables.

I think if it were the other way round, and I were using mostly single fibres with occasional pairs, then I'd prebuild everything with single fibres.  In that case, a duplex connection would just connect to the first port and I'd have to mark the second port as busy, somehow - perhaps by means of its description.  (An interface has an enabled/disabled flag, but a frontport doesn't).

Jonathan Karras

Jan 7, 2021, 10:42:32 AM1/7/21
to Brian Candler, NetBox
All good points. We'll probably stick with the duplex for now as well.

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 1:46 PM Brian Candler <b.ca...@pobox.com> wrote:
Currently I ignore the problem, and treat each fibre pair as a single "connection" on a single "port".  If we start mixing in some BiDi then I'll think I'll be forced to split "ports" as required, e.g. 1 becomes 1A and 1B, which will be messy, especially as it'll involve adding extra rearport-to-rearport cables.

I think if it were the other way round, and I were using mostly single fibres with occasional pairs, then I'd prebuild everything with single fibres.  In that case, a duplex connection would just connect to the first port and I'd have to mark the second port as busy, somehow - perhaps by means of its description.  (An interface has an enabled/disabled flag, but a frontport doesn't).

Nguyen Quoc Van

Mar 8, 2021, 8:42:26 PM3/8/21
to NetBox
Hi Jonathan,

Can you share me solutions to manage 2 core ODF fiber?

Regards

Vào lúc 22:42:32 UTC+7 ngày Thứ Năm, 7 tháng 1, 2021, jka...@gmail.com đã viết:

Dan Murphy

Mar 9, 2021, 4:42:34 PM3/9/21
to NetBox
Our plant is mostly simplex, so we treat all ports as such.

When duplex patches come around, we just delete the second interface and rename the port x/y. Not an elegant solution, but it works.

This certainly falls under the 'Quality of Life' improvements that don't necessitate a rewrite of the cable model.