Read-The-Docs, Step 4: Gunicorn Installation & (venv) question

Matt Rogers

Feb 9, 2021, 3:06:02 PM2/9/21
to NetBox
Building a fresh Netbox install on Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS and have installed latest stable release of Netbox (v2.10.4) by following the official instructions. My question is:

After Step 3 of the installation, am I meant to run the remaining commands from inside the venv or must I exit? Gunicorn, systemd, http server, etc?

The instructions do not specify exiting venv, but the example syntax output on the page clearly has no "(venv)" prompt prepending each line.

Asking for a friend, *cough, cough,* who is new to python and virtual environments.

Thanks :)

Paul Townsend

Feb 10, 2021, 7:59:05 AM2/10/21
to netbox-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,

The remaining commands don't need to be run from inside the venv, but it
would make no difference either way. The venv is only required during
installation when you need to interact with the NetBox application's
manage.py file - to add the superuser account, and run the test server.

Hope that helps.

Paul