Including ">" in a description apparently breaks postgresql

Dave Noonan

Dec 20, 2021, 10:18:38 AM12/20/21
to NetBox
I entered "FW > inet" in a description and apparently that killed postgresql as  systemctl status postgresql now shows...
  • user@netbox:~# systemctl status postgresql
  • ● postgresql.service - PostgreSQL RDBMS
  •      Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/postgresql.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
  •      Active: active (exited) since Fri 2021-08-27 14:59:44 UTC; 3 months 23 days ago
  •    Main PID: 1334 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  •       Tasks: 0 (limit: 9470)
  •      Memory: 0B
  •      CGroup: /system.slice/postgresql.service

  • Aug 27 14:59:44 lxa-netbox systemd[1]: Starting PostgreSQL RDBMS...
  • Aug 27 14:59:44 lxa-netbox systemd[1]: Finished PostgreSQL RDBMS.

I didn't realize the issue was with the DB till I tried to get into it to modify that record.

I will commence Googling postgresql issues shortly (after today's useless meeting) but I thought someone might already have run into this and I also thought that folks might want to know.  I can't really imagine that no one else is using > in a description so maybe this is something particular to my installation. It's as vanilla as I can keep it so any pointers as to what to look at are welcome.

FYI, I'm jumping to the conclusion that the > killed things because...
  • it had been working earlier in the day
  • I got "server error" from the web page immediately after entering the description with the >.
Thanks for any pointers

Dave Noonan

Dec 20, 2021, 10:28:53 AM12/20/21
to NetBox
Never mind.  It seems the DB did stop and after I restarted it the end of the status message (the last line is "Finished") mislead me.  It does say active above that, although it's "active (exited)" and I can connect to it now and the web page is working again.

I'm going to put it down to sleep deprivation.  Apologies for creating noise.