Cloud VPC mapping to Netbox

Bernard Van De Walle

Oct 20, 2020, 7:29:53 PM10/20/20
to NetBox

Hi,

I was wondering how other users  manage their AWS, GCP,  Azure IP assignments with Netbox:

I think there are 4 constructs in Netbox that are more or less relevant to Cloud providers: Prefixes, VRF, Sites and Tenants. How do you all use those to represent your VPCs, Subnets etc?
What I have done in the past is to use one VRF per VPC, and adding all the VPC CIDRs and Subnet CIDRs under it.

What is slightly more complex is that you then typically peer some specific subnets from some VPCs together,. So that peering, is effectively another IP Space enforced across VPCs.

In the past  I have used a lot of tags, to enforce some type of logic here.
I also use tags to document which region, cloud, etc that subnet resides in.

How do you all use Netbox for your cloud use-cases? Do you use the concept of tenants and sites in this case?

Thanks.
Bernard

Jeremy Stretch

Oct 21, 2020, 9:04:37 AM10/21/20
to Bernard Van De Walle, NetBox
The recommended approach is to model cloud instances as virtual machines and group them using clusters and cluster types. For example, you might have cluster types which represent AWS, GCE, etc. and clusters which represent the regions in which you have instances deployed. Clusters can be further organized using cluster groups if desired.

As far as IP addressing, it may or may not make sense to employ a VRF per cluster or provider: It really depends on your specific setup and how you utilize public vs private IP space.

Jeremy Stretch
Sr. Network Automation Engineer
Network to Code, LLC

arno...@googlemail.com

Aug 30, 2021, 9:36:51 AM8/30/21
to NetBox
Hi Bernard,
how did you do it in the end? I'm facing the same "issue". I think the best approach will be VPC = VFR, but would be grateful for your experience.
  best regards Nils

Brian Candler

Aug 30, 2021, 2:41:39 PM8/30/21
to NetBox
I coordinate address space between clouds and local systems so that no NAT is required: they can just be directly VPN'd together.  This means I just use a single VRF (the default VRF) for everything.

If you have clouds with overlapping private address space, then a separate VRF per cloud would make sense.