The room and the breaks

Alexander Pico

Jul 17, 2011, 2:43:18 PM7/17/11
to netbio
I'll kick things off with a few complaints of my own :)

The room was long and narrow, and just a bit too small for our group.
I think as we build a track record of attendance we'll earn priority
in room assignments. Someone also pointed out that the panelists were
difficult to see. I've suggested to one of the coordinators of SIGs
that raised platforms would be a nice feature for future venues,
especially when planning for panels, which we will likely do again.

The period between lunch and the 15:30 coffee break was the most
difficult, I think. The combination of "food coma" and 5 or 6 talks in
a row was perhaps a bit much. Another SIG organizer mentioned that
they schedule for a 2-hour lunch break and include a poster viewing
session during that time. That seems like a great solution. Maybe we
should try that next year.

- Alex

Gary Bader

Jul 18, 2011, 3:20:53 AM7/18/11
to net...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex. Thanks for setting up the mailing list. I agree with your
feedback. Just a couple of points from me. It would be nice to include
time for questions (5 minutes) in the schedule to help keep us on
time. Also, we should more clearly communicate the panel topics and
set them up during the sig with an introductory presentation that lays
out the topics and issues that the panel should discuss.

But on the whole, the sig was a resounding success! I got a lot of
positive feedback from a number of attendees.

Cheers,
Gary

--
http://baderlab.org