request for recipes

Heather Booth

Nov 10, 1986, 12:59:28 AM11/10/86

I've been looking for vegetarian recipes for some dishes
I've had in restaurants and liked or adaptations of recipes
that usually contain meat.
I'd particularly appreciate (meatless) recipes for:
bhindi bhaji (spelling?)
szechuan broccoli with garlic
onion soup
a thick carrot soup ("potage crecy" in Montreal)
the salad dressing Japanese restaurants serve (miso-based, I'd guess)

Thanks in advance.
Heather Booth

Jerry Natowitz

Nov 10, 1986, 6:15:53 PM11/10/86

> I've been looking for vegetarian recipes for some dishes
> I've had in restaurants and liked or adaptations of recipes

> the salad dressing Japanese restaurants serve (miso-based, I'd guess)
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Heather Booth

I don't know if this is the particular dressing you have had, but a long
defunct restaurant in New Brunswick NJ called Manna Fest Station served
this dressing on a cabbage, raisin, and raw cashew salad: (sorry, I don't
have exact measurments)

Take a few Umboshi (Japanese salted plums), pit them (or it depit?)
stick them in a blender or food processor along with a scallion or two
and some oil (start with .5 cups, add more to taste), peanut oil or
a bland oil is okay, olive oil is a waste of money in this recipe.
Add some lemon juice (from .5 to 1 lemon) and blend well. Salt to taste
with soy sauce or tamari. If you try this let us know how it turns out.

Variations would be to add a bit of sesame oil or to use miso
instead of soy.
--
Jerry Natowitz (HASA - J division)
Bell Labs - HR 2A-214

jsn...@uw-june.uucp

Nov 12, 1986, 8:09:12 PM11/12/86
In article <7...@hropus.UUCP>, j...@hropus.UUCP (Jerry Natowitz) writes:

> Take a few Umboshi (Japanese salted plums), pit them (or it depit?)
> stick them in a blender or food processor along with a scallion or two
> and some oil (start with .5 cups, add more to taste), peanut oil or
> a bland oil is okay, olive oil is a waste of money in this recipe.
> Add some lemon juice (from .5 to 1 lemon) and blend well. Salt to taste
> with soy sauce or tamari. If you try this let us know how it turns out.
>
> Variations would be to add a bit of sesame oil or to use miso
> instead of soy.

It's a nice idea to use this kind of dressing with a cabbage, raisin,
and cashew salad, but the recipe given seems incredibly salty. Umeboshi,
tamari, shoyu, and miso are all salty condiments. Umeboshi are perhaps
the saltiest (I don't have numbers). I guess my advice would be to taste
it BEFORE adding tamari or miso.

Here's another Japanese-ish salad dressing: mix about equal parts
(1) rice vinegar (other types are too harsh)
(2) sesame oil (untoasted)
(3) mirin (the Japanese equivalent to cooking sherry: sweet,
fermented liquid made from - you guessed it - rice).

Use this as a marinade for shredded cabbage. Toss with black sesame seeds.
A little diced red (bell) pepper adds great color.

Andrea K. Frankel

Nov 12, 1986, 9:06:50 PM11/12/86
Another recipe for "Japanese salad dressing": mix roughly equal
parts of either lemon juice or rice wine vinegar with soy or tamari,
then add 1/8 to 1/3 as much sesame oil (the concentrated flavoring type,
not the veg. oil type). Optional: add sesame seeds and/or finely
chopped scallions and/or a tiny amount of grated ginger to taste.

The basic style (sans options) is used to dress sunamuno at my
local sushi bar!

Andrea Frankel, Hewlett-Packard (San Diego Division) (619) 592-4664
"every time that wheel goes round, bound to cover just a little more ground"
UUCP : {hplabs|hp-pcd|hpfcla|hpda|noscvax|gould9|sdcsvax}!hp-sdd!andrea
UUCP : {cbosgd|allegra|decvax|gatech|sun|tektronix}!hplabs!hp-sdd!andrea
ARPA : hp-sdd!and...@nosc.arpa
CSNET : hp-sdd!and...@hplabs.csnet
USnail: 16399 W. Bernardo Drive, San Diego CA 92127-1899 USA

Kenneth Herron

Nov 13, 1986, 1:39:45 AM11/13/86
Every time I make pizza, the crust doesn't come out right. I'm not talking
about proper rising (at least I don't THINK I am -), but it just doesn't
have the proper chewiness (compared, say, to that of the average Domino's
pie). Does anyone have a sure-fire pizza dough recipe? Or is it
something else, like using a pizza oven vs. regular oven? & while we're
on the subject, why does my cheese come out too brown? (I have tried
baking at different temperatures)...

--
Kenneth Herron
~~ USENET: ...!cbosgd!ukma!ukecc!kenneth ~~

and...@hp-sdd.uucp

Nov 19, 1986, 10:02:19 PM11/19/86
In article <7...@ukecc.UUCP> ken...@ukecc.UUCP (Kenneth Herron) writes:
>Every time I make pizza, the crust doesn't come out right. I'm not talking
>about proper rising (at least I don't THINK I am -), but it just doesn't
>have the proper chewiness

Try making your dough with 1/2 gluten flour, 1/2 whole wheat flour.
The extra protein in the gluten flour makes it chewy, and the whole
wheat improves the flavor.

>like using a pizza oven vs. regular oven?

>why does my cheese come out too brown? (I have tried
>baking at different temperatures)...

To cook the bottom faster than you brown the top, you have a few
1) invest umpty-squat $$s in a pizza oven
2) buy a few pizza stones (see Williams Sonoma, for instance)
3) use pyrex pizza dishes instead of metal ones, and cover the top
of the pizza with tin foil except for the last few minutes.

(I use the third, and my pizzas are legendary ;@)