vegetarian cats

1 view

Karen Kolling

Nov 17, 1986, 2:29:46 PM11/17/86
> someone asks about keeping cats on a vegetarian diet.

Noooooooooooo. Periodically this question comes up on net.veg.
Cats can't metabolize (or whatever the correct term is) all the
nutrients they need from a vegetarian diet. Keep them on a
vegetarian diet long enough and they will first go blind and
then die.

m...@stcvax.uucp

Nov 18, 1986, 5:22:02 PM11/18/86
Maurice Weitman posted:

> My personal experience is that of a friend who tried
> that with her three cats. She stopped when two of them went blind.

I dont mean to flame, but I really had to make a
comment on your "Veg-Cat" posting. I appreciate you giving the info to
the person who wanted to make a vegetarian of their neighbors cat, but
please!!! In regards to your friend!!!
I assume she was a vegetarian and protesting crualty to animals, experimentation
on animals, etc. Then why didnt she get some backgroud before experimenting
cruelly on her own animals.....she waited until TWO of her cats went
blind?? Give me a break!! This is an extreme of pushing your ideas
on someone else (the cats) at their expense (sight and life!!)
I think she might have called her vet, or made a quick trip to the library!

> Others here have had similar experiences.
I cannot believe such cruel, stupidity! I pray for them (their pets that is)!!
--
Marjie Smith - STK StorageTek (Disk Division)
uucp: { hao, ihnp4, decvax}!stcvax!mes