... Animal testing for Cosmetic and Household Products

j...@rti-sel.uucp

Nov 19, 1986, 2:51:37 PM11/19/86
In article <7...@ulowell.UUCP> ro...@ulowell.UUCP (Ross Miller) writes:
>Better the animal than me. Sueing someone when I am dead doesn't help.

Better no animals (people included) when other alternatives are available
and accurate. I'd like to see if YOU could put acid in an animal's eyes
and then sit there and watch it squirm as its eyeballs burn away.
Sure, there are some times when it's unavoidable to use animals. But I
can't see how putting Draino in the eyes of 100 mice does anybody any good.
I can hear it now - "Yup, Vern, looks like we was right! Draino burns the
little suckers! Listen to 'em squealin'! Here - gimme another bottle."

ro...@ulowell.uucp

Nov 21, 1986, 12:04:36 PM11/21/86

You give me no credit. I will concede that I was wrong based on some
things. I had assumed that we were talking about necessary products or
products that people use every day. Cosmetics are a big, and in my
opinion wasteful, industry. But it is not going to go away. Better
to test on an animal than humans. I have trouble believing that any
company would do unecessary testing; what is being argued here it seems
is what is necessary. Obviously Draino is going to hurt most life forms
of this planet, and therefore it is not necessary to test for it. But,
how can we be sure that the new brand X contact lens cleaner is going
to hurt a human or not. [context switch]
A rabbit in contact lenses? :-) [context switch] This is the type
of testing I am refering to.

Ross

ande...@watdcsu.uucp

Nov 25, 1986, 9:21:39 AM11/25/86

I am thinking about getting a Land Turtle, any comments for or against?

la...@hoptoad.uucp

Nov 25, 1986, 8:55:54 PM11/25/86
In article <27...@watdcsu.UUCP> ande...@watdcsu.UUCP (G.Anderson - Computing Services) writes:
>I am thinking about getting a Land Turtle, any comments for or against?

You are in Waterloo, where turtles hibernate when it gets cold. Make
sure you keep your turtle warm and out of draughts. Otherwise he
can get into a hibernate/thaw/hinbernate cycle which results in him
starving to death since he can't wake up enough to eat.

Turtle shit really stinks.

Turtles are hard to get out of small tight warm places they crawl into --
like right underneath the radiator. Make sure you can always retrieve
your turtle when you let him lose in your apartment. Otherwise you
will lose him and find him only after he has shit all over your
best clothes.

Turtle shit really stinks.

Aside from that -- they are very nice beasties.
--
If you take a risk and fail it doesn't necessarily mean that
you made a mistake. -- David desJardins

Laura Creighton
ihnp4!hoptoad!laura utzoo!hoptoad!laura sun!hoptoad!laura
to...@lll-crg.arpa