OS INFO POST

Dave Labuda

Feb 15, 1985, 5:41:47 AM2/15/85

This is a posting of information on operating system sizes.
First, I would like to thank everyone for their contributions.
Second, I would like to disclaim any connection to these numbers.
Most of the information was given to me, and I accept it as truth unless
someone claims otherwise. The UNIX info I compiled myself - it includes
all device drivers at our installation. If I missed anyone's info,
I apologize - our net connection was broken for a couple of weeks.
The number of system calls for the OS's was left out due to many flames on
the usefulness of that factor. Also, several people complained that UNIX
does not provide equal functionality as other OS's. This is somewhat true,
but I still think the chart is interesting (one can also argue that the
OS for a PDP-11 SHOULD be smaller than that for an IBM 370).
If anyone has better numbers or other systems they would like to add, feel
free to mail me the information.

Here it is, I think it shows that V7 is the clear winner :

OS MACHINE SOURCE EXECUTABLE

UNIX V7 PDP-11 ~18,000 lines (C) ~64K

UNIX 4.1 bsd VAXEN ~33,000 lines (C) ~200K

UNIX 4.2 bsd VAXEN ~75,000 lines (C) ~300K

VMS VAXEN ~2,000,000 lines (Ass) ?

DCTS Honeywell ~50,000 lines (PL1) ~500K

TOPS-10 DEC-10 ~500,000 lines (Ass) ~500K

MTS IBM 370 ~800,000 lines (Ass) ?

B6500 Burroughs 6500 ~1,000,000 lines (Ass) ?

OS/1100 Sperry 1100 ~1,000,000 lines (Ass) ?

MVS IBM 370 >2,000,000 lines (Ass) ?

One last thing, the literary award of the season goes to John Muth at Sun
for comparing MVS to "kicking a dead whale down the beach".

OK - flame away folks, I'm sure no one is happy with the numbers....

dave labuda
decvax!cwruecmp!labuda

*There are no opinions here, so no one is represented.

*These numbers may be wrong, but at least they're not a trademark of ATT.

John A. Muth

Feb 19, 1985, 7:11:56 PM2/19/85
<<>>

In <1...@endot.UUCP>, dave labuda writes:

> One last thing, the literary award of the season goes to John Muth at Sun
> for comparing MVS to "kicking a dead whale down the beach".

I thank Dave for the compliment, however I must make two minor
corrections.

1) I wish I had originated the comparision of MVS to "kicking a dead
whale down the beach". This saying had been around for a number
of years before I heard it.

2) I work for Amdahl, not Sun.
--
John Muth
(408) 746-6069

[The opinions expressed are those of the author and not necessarily
those of Amdahl Corporation, its management, or employees.]

Ed Gould

Feb 25, 1985, 4:11:08 PM2/25/85
> > One last thing, the literary award of the season goes to John Muth at
> > [Amdahl] for comparing MVS to "kicking a dead whale down the beach".

> I thank Dave for the compliment, however I must make two minor
> corrections.
>
> 1) I wish I had originated the comparision of MVS to "kicking a dead
> whale down the beach". This saying had been around for a number
> of years before I heard it.
> --
> John Muth

The original, by Steve Johnson (I believe), was "TSO is like kicking

a dead whale down the beach".

--
Ed Gould mt Xinu, 739 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA 94710 USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed +1 415 644 0146