4.3BSD Interlan driver implementation

Lewis Barnett @ home on the range

Nov 8, 1986, 12:54:14 AM11/8/86
--[---]--

I recently noticed that although the Interlan NI1010 Ethernet controller
has a large onboard receive buffer and a queue for sixteen pointers
to Unibus buffers for DMA ... the 4.3BSD driver (if_il.c) uses only
one Unibus buffer for packet reception. I'm interested in increasing
the reception performance of the driver, and I wondered if anyone
had considered extending the code to use more than one Unibus buffer.
I'd be interested in any information, from actual implementation
to mere musings. If I receive sufficient response, I'll summarize.

Lewis Barnett,CS Dept, Painter Hall 3.28, Univ. of Texas, Austin, TX 78712

-- bar...@im4u.UTEXAS.EDU, bar...@im4u.UUCP,
{ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!im4u!barnett