St. Elsewhere (SO LONG FOR MORRISON)

M. Rossner

Mar 19, 1986, 9:23:20 AM3/19/86

>I groaned after last night's episode of St. Elsewhere. Hasn't Jack
>Morrison been dumped on enough? I mean early in the episode he was so
>upbeat saying that all was great, he had passed his remedials, his knee
>was healthy, and that Pete was back, and then he gets raped. Just great.
>I wonder if the writers are trying to do him away at the end of this
>year, sort of like Peter White and Wendy Armstrong, in order to rotate
>in new characters.

I'm wagering that this has got to be the end for Morrison. The
man really does get trashed on a lot, and now it seems he may be
permanently traumatized. I give him 2-3 weeks tops to follow
Bobby Caldwell to that great, dark land of "new opportunities."
I'm guessing the writers have finally realized he's as boring
as we the audience have known for years. Any other opinions?
Send mail or post.

By the way, I found the episode to be surprisingly violent for
"St. Elsewhere" -- more like "Hill Street", actually. But it
certainly was effective. With so many major characters there's
bound to be some flaws in the show, but overall it remains
my favorite.

>Also Dr. Westphal's enamorous relationship with the med student seems so
>out of character I can't believe it. I wonder if he will drop the
>community service program since Dr. Chandler was nearly killed twice by
>bombs and now Dr. Morrison gets raped in prison. Not very beneficial for
>them.

I agree on both counts. It seems the writers can't figure out what
to do with Westphal since he came back from Ethiopia and turned so
"holier than thou". And his community service sure has screwed
over a lot of people.

Marc D. Rossner
AT&T Bell Labs -- Liberty Corner, NJ

-- In Televisia Speramus --

Jeff Armstrong

Mar 20, 1986, 7:46:15 AM3/20/86

Well, now we know - Morrison is out at least for the rest of this season,
and Westphalls community service program will probably be discontinued.

However, according to USA today, 19 March, Morrison will be back next
season, and the writers have indicated that he will not be visited by
so much disaster and misery. Also that Dr. Craig will bear more of the
untoward cicumstances on the show.

Robert Glassett

Mar 23, 1986, 7:58:37 PM3/23/86
In article <6...@bentley.UUCP>, m...@bentley.UUCP (M. Rossner) writes:

> >I groaned after last night's episode of St. Elsewhere. Hasn't Jack
> >Morrison been dumped on enough? I mean early in the episode he was so
> >upbeat saying that all was great, he had passed his remedials, his knee
> >was healthy, and that Pete was back, and then he gets raped. Just great.
> >I wonder if the writers are trying to do him away at the end of this
> >year, sort of like Peter White and Wendy Armstrong, in order to rotate
> >in new characters.

No, I think that Boomer will still be there when the fall season rolls around.
After all he did survive the issue of his "accelerated" medical school and his
"valid" degree (not to mention Nina dying a few seasons back). The rape issue,
however, should be put to rest by the St. Elsewhere writers. It should have
died with Peter White, Cathy Martin the nympho, and Shirley Daniels. The
writers should get Westphall off this "holier than thou" attitude-- maybe have
him go to Africa permanently? It wouldn't be a bad thing to do. Any opinions
on Westphall? If you have them please post or respond.

Bob Glassett(glas...@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU)