Why no jellie babies in the USA

Darrel VanBuer

Mar 8, 1986, 10:33:48 AM3/8/86
I don't know why they're hard to find (especially since the local Ralph's
market carries Basset's Licorice Allsorts - same company that makes most
jelly babies actually found in US, and in The Pirate Planet, it was actually
a trail of Allsorts used to lure a guard), but for those who have never
had/seen one, I will attempt to describe them.
Shape: sort of like a sarcophogus with the figure molded into the "lid".
Arms and legs have no effect on the overall outline, and the head only the
slightest narrowing.
Texture/consistency: about that of a gum drop from which the surface
granulated sugar has been removed. Unfortunately, since the ones available
here are often not very fresh, they are often the consistency of 4 month old
gumdrops (i.e. kind of hard).
Flavor: Main ingredients are sugar, water and citric acid. Moderately
tart (like a Starburst). The flavors seem to include lime, orange, black
currant and something red. The currant ones are purple, a flavor common in
Europe but rare in US. Good, but quite a surprise if you expected grape.

They are exceptionally unlike Gummi Bears, since they are not rubbery, have
no projecting limbs and completely different flavor.
--
Darrel J. Van Buer, PhD
System Development Corp.