"re: jelly babies"

Greene T Richard

Mar 5, 1986, 6:19:50 PM3/5/86
In article <5...@nrcvax.UUCP> an...@nrcvax.UUCP (Andre Hut) writes:

>In article <4...@utastro.UUCP> wh...@utastro.UUCP (Craig Wheeler) writes:
>>Have I missed something?
>>
>>I must have, as I havent yet seen the connection between jelly babies and
>>doctor who...
>>

>There are many things the Doctor carrys in his pockets, among them are
>Jelly Babies. The Tom Baker episodes are full of references to Jelly Babies.
>There is even an episode where he uses them to distract a guard and steal
>an air-vechicle (The name of the story escapes me).

Unless I am mistaken, the story is "The Pirate Planet".

BTW, "The Pirate Planet" is one of the few stories in which the sonic screw-
driver fails to open a door. Before you argue, let me remind you that while
the door did open, it was not from a result of the sonic screwdriver unlocking
it. From the Doctor's (#4) reaction, we are lead to believe that he did not
cause it to open, he just wants to take credit for it.
Can anyone name the other shows where the Doctor's little helper didn't?

Rick Greene
...!ihnp4!psuvax1!vu-vlsi!excalibur!188622462

nomad

Mar 9, 1986, 1:30:00 PM3/9/86

His little helper as you put it, failed to open Card. Borusa's
(sp??) secret door in "Invasion of Time." (Leela's last show). The door
had a voice print lock, and we all know that "There's nothing more useless
than a voice print lock." :-)

LEE DAMON FidoNet: 17/1 (CastleNet) {Lee Damon,SysOp}
CSnet: nomad%oregon-state@csnet-relay
UUCP : {hp-pcd,tektronix}!orstcs!nomad

"Say what you like, the bicycle has a great past ahead of it."

Ewan Tempero

Mar 9, 1986, 9:14:45 PM3/9/86
In article <4...@excalibur.UUCP>, 1886...@excalibur.UUCP (Greene T Richard) writes:
> Can anyone name the other shows where the Doctor's little helper didn't?
In fact I just watch such a show last night. Of course I've forgotten the
title since is was so long ago... "Keeper of Traken"? Something like that.

--
Ewan

------------
Ewan Tempero UUCP: ...!uw-beaver!uw-june!ewan ARPA: ew...@washington.ARPA
I have found a most wonderful proof for P <> NP but net etiquette on the
size of .signature files doesn't allow me to give it here.....

Allen England

Mar 10, 1986, 8:46:59 AM3/10/86
> Can anyone name the other shows where the Doctor's little helper didn't?

It didn't work in "The Keeper of Traken". Nyssa opened the door with
the key.

Allen England

Dave Seaman

Mar 12, 1986, 9:14:45 AM3/12/86
In article <4...@excalibur.UUCP> 1886...@excalibur.UUCP (Greene T Richard) writes:
>Can anyone name the other shows where the Doctor's little helper didn't?

The sonic screwdriver failed in "Carnival of Monsters" because the lock
was an old-fashioned mechanical type. Jo Grant had to use a skeleton key.
--
Dave Seaman pur-ee!pucc-h!ags

Ericson

Mar 12, 1986, 10:10:27 PM3/12/86
> BTW, "The Pirate Planet" is one of the few stories in which the sonic screw-
> driver fails to open a door. Before you argue, let me remind you that while
> the door did open, it was not from a result of the sonic screwdriver unlocking
> it. From the Doctor's (#4) reaction, we are lead to believe that he did not
> cause it to open, he just wants to take credit for it.
> Can anyone name the other shows where the Doctor's little helper didn't?
>
> Rick Greene
> ...!ihnp4!psuvax1!vu-vlsi!excalibur!188622462

How about in "The Keeper of Traken"? Didn't Nyssa (sp?) have to
come up with the actual electronic key?

Also wasn't there a show set in the middle ages (plague days)
when the Doctor tried to open a purely *mechanical* lock with
the ol' sonic screwdriver?

Stuart Ericson
!ihnp4!ihlpf!stuart

"Sure I'd come and explain it all, but my de-materialization circuit
is blown."

Andy Toy

Mar 13, 1986, 3:19:56 AM3/13/86
In article <4...@excalibur.UUCP> (Greene T Richard) writes:
>BTW, "The Pirate Planet" is one of the few stories in which the sonic screw-
>driver fails to open a door. Before you argue, let me remind you that while
>the door did open, it was not from a result of the sonic screwdriver unlocking
>it. From the Doctor's (#4) reaction, we are lead to believe that he did not
>cause it to open, he just wants to take credit for it.
>Can anyone name the other shows where the Doctor's little helper didn't?

In the ARC OF INFINITY, the Doctor couldn't get the doors open in the
security area on Gallifrey when his TARDIS was recalled.
--
Andy Toy, Mapping Analysis and Design Group (MAD),
Faculty of Environmental Studies, University of Waterloo,

Kenneth Worzel Fung

Mar 15, 1986, 2:43:58 PM3/15/86
In article <6...@ihlpl.UUCP>, al...@ihlpl.UUCP (Allen England) writes:
> Can anyone name the other shows where the Doctor's little helper didn't?

What about in Jon Pertwee episode 1 of "Carnival of Monsters".
The good Doctor and Jo Grant materialized in a ship's hold and
discovered that the lock on ship's hold was a cast-iron lock.
Try as he might, the sonic screwdriver could no move anything
of the lock. "Ha, I knew I would finally come in handy(or words
to that effect) Jo exclaims, producing bobby-pin, and picks the
lock without a problem.

Adric of Alzarius

Mar 16, 1986, 8:47:25 PM3/16/86
> In the ARC OF INFINITY, the Doctor couldn't get the doors open in the
> security area on Gallifrey when his TARDIS was recalled.

The reason for this is the lock in the security area was much too complex to
be taken care of in a few moments with something such as the sonic
screwdriver. The Doctor did explain to Nyssa that he couldn't have opened
the lock that fast because of it's complexity.

"Not allowed? Me??? I'm allowed everywhere!" -- The Doctor
Joseph P. Ogulin
UUCP: {seismo!umcp-cs | ihnp4!whuxcc | allegra!hopkins}!jhunix!ins_ajpo
ARPA: ins_ajpo%jhunix...@wiscvm.WISC.EDU
BITNET: ins_...@jhunix.BITNET

Sean Yoda Rouse

Mar 17, 1986, 2:49:59 AM3/17/86
If we all recall, Time Lords are time sensative.

Remember "Warriors Gate"?

They used Romana to get a picture of the outside. Time Lords aren't as
sensative as Tharils, but they still are time sensative.

-Sean "Yoda" Rouse
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
ARPA: cc...@cory.berkeley.edu
UUCP: ucbvax!cory!cc-30

"Television...destroys the mind, corrupts the soul."
--Remington Steele

Dave Seaman

Mar 18, 1986, 8:49:49 AM3/18/86
In article <1...@daemen.uucp> fu...@daemen.uucp (Kenneth Worzel Fung) writes:
> What about in Jon Pertwee episode 1 of "Carnival of Monsters".
> The good Doctor and Jo Grant materialized in a ship's hold and
> discovered that the lock on ship's hold was a cast-iron lock.
> Try as he might, the sonic screwdriver could no move anything
> of the lock. "Ha, I knew I would finally come in handy(or words
> to that effect) Jo exclaims, producing bobby-pin, and picks the
> lock without a problem.

It was a skeleton key, not a bobby pin, and she had to use it several times,
probably in at least 3 of the 4 episodes, because they were stuck in a
time loop.
--
Dave Seaman pur-ee!pucc-h!ags