Star Trek IV -- cast list, story, misc info

Ryan Gale

Mar 6, 1986, 8:11:17 PM3/6/86

WARNING - THE FOLLOWING CONTAINS DETAILS OF AN UPCOMING MOVIE

The following may be rumor, it may be true. It certainly was
not known before a few days ago by yours truly. For those
interested in the latest bit of gossip, we present the following.

WARNING - The Following Concerns:

STAR TREK IV: The Voyage Home

Director: Leonard Nimoy
Producer: Harve Bennett
Executive Producer: Ralph Winter
Casting: Amanda Mackey

ROLE ARTIST ROLE ARTIST
Captain Kirk William Shatner Controller #1 Thaddeus Golas
Spock Leonard Nimoy Controller #2 Martin Pistone
Bones DeForest Kelly 1st Garbageman Phil Rubenstein
Scotty James Doohan 2nd Garbageman John Miranda
Uhura Nichelle Nichols Antique Store Joe Knowland
Chekov Walter Koenig Owner
Sulu George Takei Bob Briggs Scott Devenney
Saratagoa Capt Madge Sinclair Joe Richard Harder
" Science Off Mike Brislane Nichols Alex Henteloff
" Helmsman Nick Ramus StarFleet Comm Michael Snyder
Cmdr Chappell Majel Barrett Pilot Tony Edwards
Sarek Mark Lenard SF Display Off Michael Berryman
Fed Council Robert Ellenstien Naval Intelleg Jeff Lester
Cmdr Rand Grace Lee Whitney Civilian - Ship Thom Rachford
Klingon Ambas John Schuck Eldery Patient Eve Smith
Lt. Saavik Robin Curtis 1st Intern Tom Mustin
Amanda Jane Wyatt 2nd Intern Greg Karas
Adm Cartwright Brock Peters 1st Shore Cop Joe Lando
Gillian Catherine Hicks Young Doctor Raymond Singer
Computer Voice Voice Over Doctor #1 David Ellenstien
Aide Extra Allen Com Off Jane Wieldlin
North Dakota Veejay Amritraj Boy in Tour Ryan Robertson
Starship Captain CDO Newell Tarrant

Filming started just a few days ago, on Feburary 24th.
Expected compleation date is May 12th, 1986. One can only guess,
at this point, on the complete story idea. But based on discus-
sion and other items discovered the story looks as follows:

WARNING - STORY RUMORS FOLLOW

With the cast selected and some set descriptions it appears
as though the fabled crew of the Enterprise arrive on earth after
some negotiations on the Planet Vulcan and arrive on Earth, poss-
ibly still in the Klingon Bird-of-Prey. In fact, that looks very
likely. The Earth they arrive at is, Now. Not listed in the
above cast call ars a number of current age characters including,
the ever-popular FBI agent. This is beginning to look, very
much like a remake of the Gary Seven episode.
Other tidbits of information disclose assistance in the
Special Effects department by Industrial Light and Magic. Some
additional footage has been shot here in San Diego using the USS
Ranger on North Island. In addition some location work was done
at Will Rodgers State Park, including the inital landing. Some
joggers are included as atmosphere.
Well that about raps up what can be said now. Much of what
I know is old by now. But this little scrap of information
should feed the rumor mills for some time, as we discuss the
possible future of Paramont film production #31797.

Posted for: Victoro O'Rear
{noscvax, sdcsvax, ihnp4} crash!victoro
victoro@nosc

--

Ryan Gale
{ihnp4, akgua, decvax} !sdcsvax!man!rgale

Shelli Meyers

Mar 17, 1986, 4:27:40 PM3/17/86
In article <1...@man.UUCP> rg...@man.UUCP (Ryan Gale) writes:

> With the cast selected and some set descriptions it appears
>as though the fabled crew of the Enterprise arrive on earth after
>some negotiations on the Planet Vulcan and arrive on Earth, poss-
>ibly still in the Klingon Bird-of-Prey. In fact, that looks very
>likely. The Earth they arrive at is, Now.

You mean "now" like 1986? Wait a second...*that* doesn't make any
sense...

I think it should be called "Star Trek 4: The Court Martial".
--
"The answer is no. I am therefore going anyway."
Shelli Meyers, previously Queen Susan of Narnia

kayu...@cvl.uucp

Mar 18, 1986, 4:17:10 PM3/18/86
In article <2...@bucsd.UUCP>, s...@bucsd.UUCP writes:
> I think it should be called "Star Trek 4: The Court Martial".
> --
> Shelli Meyers, previously Queen Susan of Narnia
> UUCP: ...!harvard!bu-cs!sam
> ARPA: sam%bu-cs...@csnet-relay.arpa

It should not be called "Star Trek 4: The Court Martial", because
Kirk is not going to court martialed by Star Fleet. This aspect of the reper-
cussions of Star Trek III have already been covered in DC's Star Trek comic.
You may not like it, but it all stories are approved by Gene R. and Paramount.
DC cannot print any story that does not fit into the official Star Trek uni-
verse.
By the way, you should read the Star Trek Annual #1 and see what a
jerk Kirk can really be!

Star-Lord

They were in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Naturally they became heroes.

Stanley Friesen

Mar 20, 1986, 7:02:19 PM3/20/86
In article <2...@bucsd.UUCP> s...@bucsd.UUCP (Shelli Meyers) writes:

>>the fabled crew of the Enterprise arrive on earth after
>>some negotiations on the Planet Vulcan and arrive on Earth, poss-
>>ibly still in the Klingon Bird-of-Prey. In fact, that looks very
>>likely. The Earth they arrive at is, Now.
>
>You mean "now" like 1986? Wait a second...*that* doesn't make any
>sense...

But it is true just the same! Remember the episode in which
the Enterprise warped back into the 60's by accident? perhaps
something like that happens again.
--

Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!fri...@rand-unix.arpa

steven@ism780

Mar 24, 1986, 12:18:00 PM3/24/86

According to the Daily Variety film production chart for 3/21/86,
the title is:

"Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home"

John M. Ritter

Mar 25, 1986, 4:18:30 PM3/25/86
> In article <2...@bucsd.UUCP> s...@bucsd.UUCP (Shelli Meyers) writes:
> >
> >>the fabled crew of the Enterprise arrive on earth after
> >>some negotiations on the Planet Vulcan and arrive on Earth, poss-
> >>ibly still in the Klingon Bird-of-Prey. In fact, that looks very
> >>likely. The Earth they arrive at is, Now.
> >
> >You mean "now" like 1986? Wait a second...*that* doesn't make any
> >sense...
> >
> But it is true just the same! Remember the episode in which
> the Enterprise warped back into the 60's by accident? perhaps
> something like that happens again.
> --
>
> Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

Well, I heard something like Kirk et. al. zip back in time to mess
around with Kahn's kind of people...

You know: no superhuman race, no suspended animation, no Seti Alpha 5,
no Genesis Machine but mostly *NO DESTRUCTION OF THE ENTERPRISE!!*

I wondered how they were going to get it back!
"I enjoy working with human beings, and John M. Ritter
have stimulating relationships with them." Allied-Signal Inc.
- HAL 9000 Corporate Tax Department
{bellcore,harpo,ihnp4,infopro,princeton,sys1}!motown!jmr

M Schare

Mar 30, 1986, 12:55:49 AM3/30/86
Clearly, STIV must not go back in time to alter events. If they did, and
were succesfull, you could never believe any of the stories again. Imagine:
The new enterprise and the Klingons go into fierce battle. The Enterprise
is (gasp!) DESTROYED. BUT WAIT- Here goes Admiral Kirk back in time. No
problem - if at first you dont succeed, hit the old restart button by going
back in time and try again. No, the writers would be doing themselves a
great injustice if they took the easy way out. Now - if they discovered that
Kahn had gone back in time because of some control he found on
Alpha Ceti 6 and reworked things, they could perhaps (perhaps?) justify
the cheap way out. Either way, should be interesting.

Marc.
--
Netnews is MORE FUN then Human Beings should be allowed to have!
Marc Schare (pyuxd!marc)

Roger J. Noe

Mar 31, 1986, 8:56:48 AM3/31/86
> >Well, I heard something like Kirk et. al. zip back in time to mess
> >around with Kahn's kind of people...
> >
> >You know: no superhuman race, no suspended animation, no Seti Alpha 5,
> >no Genesis Machine but mostly *NO DESTRUCTION OF THE ENTERPRISE!!*
>
> God, I hope not! That also means no Eugenics War and the potential for
> serious damage to the fabric of history.

Absolutely. But here's another possibility: go back in time with the Klingon
scout ship, after Khan and his people have gone into suspended animation. Blow
the Botany Bay out of space ("We are Klingons!") and go forward in time. Then
(1) Enterprise would never have encountered Botany Bay, so that none of the
havoc caused by Khan and crew would have happened, (2) this would restore Lt.
McGivers to the Enterprise crew [who cares?], and (3) Reliant never would have
found Khan and survivors on Ceti Alpha V. Of course, that probably means that
the Federation would have tested Genesis in a controlled environment (that
planet), no one would die testing it, and they would then discard Genesis when
the experiment proves it has some major flaws. Basically, none of the events
from ST2 and ST3 would have happened.

> That still does not resolve one other problem- keeping the Enterprise from
> being scrapped by Star Fleet. It seems unlikely that that was a
> spur-of-the-moment decision; rather, it was probably being discussed behind
> closed doors for some time.

Partly because she was so beat up after battling Khan.

> Personally, I doubt they will monkey with history that way and that the
> Enterprise we knew and loved is gone and should be let to rest in peace.
> (Now as for a new Enterprise... )
> --
> Name: John Ruschmeyer

You're probably right.