A Private Little War

M...@psuvm.bitnet

Mar 12, 1986, 12:34:04 PM3/12/86
Well, I am sure this has been discussed before, but I just saw
the episode last night and wanted to put in my 2 cents.
In my opinion, Kirk violated the prime directive up and down
the pike. The balance of power is a fine idea, but don't give
guns to Tyree, but take them away from the hill people. (I think
it was the hill people the Kilngons were backing.) I mean, kick the
Klingons' butts and then come down and take away all the guns.
They would never be able to make them again, since they didn't
make them in the first place. Remember, the barrels were too nice
to have been made on the primitive forge. Ah well, Kirk has said it
himself that he is a soldier and not a politician. Although you'd think
on a mission to meet new people, you'd want a politician along.

"No, I wouldn't call it fascinating, Captain, merely... interesting."
-------

Michael S. Weiss
The Pennsylvania State University
M...@PSUVM.BITNET

<* The opinions expressed by me do not reflect those held *>
<* by my school nor those of my employer. (If I had one.) *>

Michael N. Washington

Mar 14, 1986, 11:04:03 AM3/14/86
In article <4534MW9@PSUVM> M...@PSUVM.BITNET writes:

>Well, I am sure this has been discussed before, but I just saw
>the episode last night and wanted to put in my 2 cents.
>In my opinion, Kirk violated the prime directive up and down
>the pike. The balance of power is a fine idea, but don't give
>guns to Tyree, but take them away from the hill people. (I think
>it was the hill people the Klingons were backing.) I mean, kick the

>Klingons' butts and then come down and take away all the guns.
>They would never be able to make them again, since they didn't
>make them in the first place. Remember, the barrels were too nice
>to have been made on the primitive forge. Ah well, Kirk has said it
>himself that he is a soldier and not a politician. Although you'd think
>on a mission to meet new people, you'd want a politician along.
>
>"No, I wouldn't call it fascinating, Captain, merely... interesting."
>-------
>
>Michael S. Weiss
>The Pennsylvania State University
>M...@PSUVM.BITNET
>
><* The opinions expressed by me do not reflect those held *>
><* by my school nor those of my employer. (If I had one.) *>

I disagree. For one thing, Kirk and gang could not pick a fight with the
Klingons without it escalating into a full fledge "war" which of course
the Organians would not allow. Next, once the hill people had the
knowledge of guns, they would soon learn how to make them. Of course they
would be crude compared to the guns that the Klingons provided, but none
the less, they would make more.

Take Tyree for example, he was unwilling to fight until his wife was
murdered. At that point, he could not get enough guns (my interpretation)
to avenge his wife's death. Once that happened, there was no turning
back. I do wish another solution could have been found. I really hate
wars and think they are a complete waste of everything!

The debate goes on.

"Live Long and Prosper!"

Michael N. Washington
TRW E&DS Redondo Beach, Ca. 90278

{ucbvax,decvax,hplabs}!trwrb!trwrba!mnw

Nathaniel Polish

Mar 15, 1986, 8:19:08 AM3/15/86
Tyree is a "hill-person," the villagers got the guns.

Bruce T. Lowerre

Mar 24, 1986, 8:04:26 PM3/24/86
> Well, I am sure this has been discussed before, but I just saw
> the episode last night and wanted to put in my 2 cents.
> In my opinion, Kirk violated the prime directive up and down
> the pike. The balance of power is a fine idea, but don't give
> guns to Tyree, but take them away from the hill people. (I think
> it was the hill people the Kilngons were backing.) I mean, kick the

The Klingons were backing the town people.

> Klingons' butts and then come down and take away all the guns.
> They would never be able to make them again, since they didn't
> make them in the first place. Remember, the barrels were too nice
> to have been made on the primitive forge. Ah well, Kirk has said it
> himself that he is a soldier and not a politician. Although you'd think
> on a mission to meet new people, you'd want a politician along.
>
> "No, I wouldn't call it fascinating, Captain, merely... interesting."

Many of the ST stories were parables of the news events of the times. If
South Viet Nam is substituted for the Hill People, North Viet Nam for the
town people, Russia for the Klingons, and the U.S. for Kirk and company,
then you will see the reason for Kirk's actions.

M...@psuvm.bitnet

Mar 26, 1986, 4:07:22 AM3/26/86
In article <33...@hplabsb.UUCP>, b...@hplabsb.UUCP (Bruce T. Lowerre) says:

>Many of the ST stories were parables of the news events of the times. If
>South Viet Nam is substituted for the Hill People, North Viet Nam for the
>town people, Russia for the Klingons, and the U.S. for Kirk and company,
>then you will see the reason for Kirk's actions.

I may see the reason for it then, but it still sucks. Vietnam
was bad, too. Remember? (I know bad is an understatement, but
that sort of encompasses the whole thing.) Face it, Kirk screwed
up big time in this episode. His 'soldier' side got the best of him.
-------

"Science does not remove the Terror of the Gods."
-J.R. "Bob" Dobbs, The Church of the SubGenius

Michael N. Washington

Mar 28, 1986, 12:59:28 PM3/28/86
In article <4642MW9@PSUVM> M...@PSUVM.BITNET writes:

>I may see the reason for it then, but it still sucks. Vietnam
>was bad, too. Remember? (I know bad is an understatement, but
>that sort of encompasses the whole thing.) Face it, Kirk screwed
>up big time in this episode. His 'soldier' side got the best of him.
>-------
>
>"Science does not remove the Terror of the Gods."
> -J.R. "Bob" Dobbs, The Church of the SubGenius
>
>Michael S. Weiss
>The Pennsylvania State University
>M...@PSUVM.BITNET

I cannot agree with this. Kirk had no choice. He did not screw up.
It goes back the the old adage, "Once the apple of knowledge is bitten,
you cannot goes back as before!". Again I use Tyree as an example.
Remember, he resisted using guns until his wife was murdered while he
watched. After her death, he learned how to use a gun! In order to
keep the villagers from wiping out the hill people, Kirk and gang had
to balance the power with the same type of weapon the Klingons provided.

I absolutely detest war as a means of attempting to solve problems, but
I know in reality, some crazy people insist on having a war. I do
believe in defending ones self or country against aggressiveness of other
individuals or countries who insist on attempting to take what does not
belong to them.

Bruce T. Lowerre

Mar 31, 1986, 1:28:56 PM3/31/86

> In article <33...@hplabsb.UUCP>, b...@hplabsb.UUCP (Bruce T. Lowerre) says:
>
> >Many of the ST stories were parables of the news events of the times. If
> >South Viet Nam is substituted for the Hill People, North Viet Nam for the
> >town people, Russia for the Klingons, and the U.S. for Kirk and company,
> >then you will see the reason for Kirk's actions.
>
> I may see the reason for it then, but it still sucks. Vietnam
> was bad, too. Remember? (I know bad is an understatement, but
> that sort of encompasses the whole thing.) Face it, Kirk screwed
> up big time in this episode. His 'soldier' side got the best of him.

Did the U.S. do any better? :-)