SciFi TV shows; American vs. others

ix312

Mar 21, 1986, 6:29:04 PM3/21/86
I recently sent this out to net.tv and sf-lovers. I am hoping to now
sent it to net.startrek and drwho, where it may be just as applicable,
and hopefully I'll get more responses. I am sorry for any duplicate
posting this may cause; I'm new to all this and still a bit confused.

Hi guys, I got a question for you.

Recently I got into a discussion with some friends about science
fiction TV shows. We were comparing American shows with those from
other English speaking countries. I, of course, made some points very
well (strike that, very loudly and decidedly), and now I am trying to
get some facts to back them up.

What I need is a list of shows and a brief synopsis of each. I would
prefer outlines of only the more obscure shows. (I've seen Star Trek
and Doctor Who). If you have any opinions on what made a show
particularly good or bad I'd really like to hear about that too (this
includes Star Trek, Doctor Who, etc.), and, of course, any feelings
about the differences between products of various countries.

Two of the less well known shows that we spent a good deal of time
talking about were UFO (anyone remember SHADO?), and Star Lost (which I
can only barely remember).

Also, no one else seems to have heard of Saphire and Steel, (British, I
believe.) I can't believe I made it up. It starred David McCallum (not
sure of that spelling) from The Man From UNCLE series. Any info?

So, what I'd like from you guys are facts and opinions. It doesn't
matter how obscure the show was, though I would like to know how much of
an audience it was available to, (was it nationwide or just just
available in northern Alaska, did it last one eposide, half a season,
etc.?).

Thanks muchly,

ME (= Soda)

(I know I'm entitled to my own opinion; it's my constant assumption that
everyone else is entitled to it also that keeps getting me into trouble.)

P.S. You can either mail responses to me, or if you're making a big
point and want to post it feel free. I'll get it either way.

Patrick Stirling

Mar 28, 1986, 1:43:29 PM3/28/86
In article <24...@sdcc6.UUCP> ix...@sdcc6.UUCP (ix312) writes:

> What I need is a list of shows and a brief synopsis of each. I would
>
> Also, no one else seems to have heard of Saphire and Steel, (British, I
> believe.) I can't believe I made it up. It starred David McCallum (not
> sure of that spelling) from The Man From UNCLE series. Any info?

I've heard of (and seen) "Sapphire and Steel". It was aired in Britain about
5 years ago, and starred Daviv McCallum and a well known actress whose name
I forget (young, blonde & beautiful of course!). DM was Steel (representing
the metal) and she was Sapphire - they had special powers (e.g. Dm could
reduce his body temperature to close to absolute zero). Each story they
solved a paranormal occurence (somewhat like a high-tech 6th Sense) involving
ghosts or creatures from another universe. It was very good. From time to time
they would call up reinforcements - one story their colleague Lead showed up
- he was a huge black guy. very strong. That's all I can remember. I wonder
if it ever made it over here? Sorry this is in net.tv.drwho - i dont subscribe
to net.tv.

patrick