Rogue Versions

Robert L. Fair

Apr 22, 1987, 11:29:27 AM4/22/87
On our system we have 2 (TWO) entirely different versions of Rogue source !
One, pretty well written, contains the line:

* @(#)main.c 3.27 (Berkeley) 6/15/81

in main, while the other seems to be the version posted on the net
recently, and is annonymous.

Can anyone comment on why there are two different rogue implementations
around ? Which is better ?

ti...@zeus.uucp

Apr 23, 1987, 12:32:01 PM4/23/87

If its the one I posted, it's not really annonymous, if you type 'v' during
the game, it should show you my name and net address.

Why are there two different implementations? I can only tell you that I
wrote the second one for the following reasons:

1.) So that people could have their own rogue 5.3-like source to modify
as they please. Public domain source, that is.
2.) To get rid of nauseating bugs like the nymph bug, the save-game bug,
the fly-trap teleport bug, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. These
bugs have a long and renowned history of ruining great games.
3.) I thought it would be fun, and it was.