Taking control of pleasure

John Miller

Sep 15, 1986, 4:21:46 PM9/15/86

In article <4...@hjuxa.UUCP> a...@hjuxa.UUCP writes:

>In article <21...@mtgzz.UUCP>, e...@mtgzz.UUCP (e.m.eades) writes:

> [ about which way to go on name-change upon marrying ]

> But I don't think I should go BACK a step to
>my maiden name again. I'd like to see some thoughts on this as well.
>
>The biggest trouble I have in accepting this name-change is that I'm
>NOT a piece of property - there's no reason why I should have to be
>"branded" with a name, signifying to whom I "belong."

In a way going back to your maiden name might suggest that you "belong"
to your parents, or at least your father's family.

>Ideas??
>
>AKL@DEC

So -- why not pick any name you jolly well please? In some states at
least the marriage ceremony carries the same weight as a court-decreed
name change, and I know of one person who changed her FIRST name while
she was at it. (Actually, she had always been known by her middle name
and made that legally her first name.)