Mike Cross song about inbreeding taboos

Curtis Jackson

Aug 11, 1986, 8:33:40 PM8/11/86
This song is on Mike Cross' album "Live and Kicking"; look for it in the
folk [*sometimes* country] section of your local record emporium:

"Elma Turl"
---------
Elma Turl is a beautiful girl
And I'd love to have her for my wife.
She's just the kind of woman who could make me
Happy for the rest of my life.
My Daddy said, "Son, there's something you don't know;
And I think it's something you ought'r:
Elma Turl is a hell of a girl, but son, she's my daughter."

Well Alice Green is a beautiful thing
And I'd love to have her for my wife.
She's just the kind of woman who could make me
Happy for the rest of my life.
My Daddy said, "Son, there's something you don't know;
And I think it's something you ought'r:
Alice Green is a hell of a girl, but son, she's my daughter."

I've traveled all around this great big county
Like a buck huntin' for a doe.
But it seems every girl that I want to marry
Is a wild oat Daddy sowed.
So I went to my Mama with my head hung down, she said,
"Son, what can the matter be?"
I told her my problem and she took my hand and said,
"Son, now listen to me:"

"You're Daddy was such a good-lookin' young man
And like an eager young stallion horse
His blood ran hot so you can't blame him
For lettin' Mother Nature take her course.
But there ain't no need for you to be upset;
Don't you worry; don't fret; don't bother.
You see, your Daddy ain't your Daddy though he thinks he is
So you can marry whoever you want'r!"

While in Key West for the 4th of July this year we were in Mallory
Square and heard a Jamaican guy do a Jamaican version of the same
time-honored joke -- accompanied on conga drum rather than guitar,
of course. Pretty neat....
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3313 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson ...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd allegra ]!burl!rcj