Hitchhiker's Guide Trivia

Sean Yoda Rouse

Nov 25, 1986, 12:37:55 AM11/25/86
In article <25...@udenva.UUCP> sho...@udenva.UUCP (Steve "Blore" Howard) writes:
>In article <12...@watnot.UUCP> rcg...@watnot.UUCP (Rob Good) writes:
>>This should be a simple trivia question for the Hitchhikers out there.
>>
>>The question is:
>>
>> Who won the award for the most gratuitous use of the word 'fuck'
>> in a serious screen play?
>
> Wasn't it for the most gratuitous uses of the word "Belgium?"

Not if you read the British trade paper back. If you did, Arthur Dent was
a jerk and a complete asshole instead of a "knee-biter". I can't remember the
guy's name though.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"If you can imagine it, it exists somewhere"

Sean "Yoda" Rouse: Follower of the Reverend Mother K'aa thi 'li
ARPA: s...@miro.berkeley.edu UUCP: ucbvax!miro!spr
USnail: 2299 Piedmont Ave #315, Berkeley, Ca 94720

Tim Flanagan

Nov 25, 1986, 12:42:30 AM11/25/86
In article <25...@udenva.UUCP> sho...@udenva.UUCP (Steve "Blore" Howard) writes:
>In article <12...@watnot.UUCP> rcg...@watnot.UUCP (Rob Good) writes:
>>This should be a simple trivia question for the Hitchhikers out there.
>>
>>The question is:
>>
>> Who won the award for the most gratuitous use of the word 'fuck'
>> in a serious screen play?
>
> Wasn't it for the most gratuitous uses of the word "Belgium?"

This depends on which version you read. The British version of Life,
The Universe, and Everything says "fuck", and the American version
says "Belgium".

Does anyone know the reason for this discrepency? I find Belgium
much more creative, and the word "fuck" is mundanely unoriginal.

Any comments?

--
Timothy R. Flanagan

Gillian: "You're from outer space!"
Kirk: "No, I'm from Iowa -- I only work in outer space." --STIV:TVH

wil...@pyr1.cs.ucl.ac.uk

Nov 26, 1986, 11:15:00 AM11/26/86

Here in England (that little iddy biddy island just off the
coast of Europe), there exist several concurrent versions of
HHGG on different media. Some of these contradict each other in
various ways.

With this in mind, I remember hearing a radio series (part of)
about 2 yr ago of HHGG which has not appeared in any of the 4
books.

The particular episode to which I am referring consists of
this bird-inhabited planet on the surface of which is a 13-mile
high statue of Arthur Dent throwing a teacup at the Nutrimatics
drink synthesiser.
The teacup is suspended 'by art' ~13 miles off the ground.

As far as I remember, for some reason Zaphod is about to fall
off the statue and says 'Belgium man, Belgium."

The narrator explained that Belgium was the worst obscenity
known to civilisation and is only used by loose:tongued people
like Z.B.
(It was also used on a small land-mass on Earth where the
inhabitabnts didn't know what it meant.)

In the version of LTUAE what I read, the guy at the flying
party won the award for the most gratuitous use of the word
F%$#.

The word belgium does not appear at all in any of the 4 books.

The main point to remember is that the books and radio series
are not consistent to the point of consistency.