Canonical list of sentient computer novels

Gary Knight

Nov 5, 1986, 6:45:05 PM11/5/86

I am trying to compile a canonical list of SF *novels* dealing with (1)
sentient computers, and (2) human mental access to computers or computer
networks. Examples of the two categories (and my particular favorites as well)
are:

A) SENTIENT COMPUTERS

The Adolescence of P-1, by Thomas J. Ryan
Valentina: Soul in Sapphire, by Joseph H. Delaney and Marc Stiegler
Cybernetic Samurai, by (I forget)
Coils, by Roger Zelazny

B) HUMAN ACCESS

True Names, by Vernor Vinge
Neuromancer and Count Zero, by William Gibson

I'm not sure how this is done, but my thought is for all of you sf-fans
out there to send me e-mail lists of such novels (separate, by category A and
B), and I'll compile and post the ultimate canonical version. I've heard that
this exercise was undertaken a year or so ago, but I don't have access to that
list and besides I'd like to get fresh input anyway (and recent qualifying
books).

So let me hear from you . . . .

Gary
--
Gary Knight, 3604 Pinnacle Road, Austin, TX 78746 (512/328-2480).
Biopsychology Program, Univ. of Texas at Austin. "There is nothing better

Gary Knight

Nov 7, 1986, 3:57:17 PM11/7/86

Clarification of earlier posting, which is repeated below:

1) No robot novels, please; just non-ambulatory computers; and
2) No short works, just novels.

I am trying to compile a canonical list of SF *novels* dealing with (1)
sentient computers, and (2) human mental access to computers or computer
networks. Examples of the two categories (and my particular favorites as well)
are:

A) SENTIENT COMPUTERS

The Adolescence of P-1, by Thomas J. Ryan
Valentina: Soul in Sapphire, by Joseph H. Delaney and Marc Stiegler
Cybernetic Samurai, by (I forget)
Coils, by Roger Zelazny

B) HUMAN ACCESS

True Names, by Vernor Vinge
Neuromancer and Count Zero, by William Gibson

Please send your lists to me by e-mail

and I'll compile and post the ultimate canonical version.

Ed Post

Nov 7, 1986, 6:06:28 PM11/7/86

> I am trying to compile a canonical list of SF *novels* dealing with (1)
> sentient computers, and (2) human mental access to computers or computer
> networks.....

Some of the classics:

RUR (Rossum's Universal Robots), Carel Capek(?)
Asimov's entire robot series
When Harlie was One, David Gerrold
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Robert Heinlein
Colossus (sp?), The Forbin Project
--
Ed Post {hplabs,voder,pyramid}!lewey!evp
American Information Technology

Erich Rickheit

Nov 9, 1986, 11:16:42 PM11/9/86
<Nonesense! There's no such thing as line-eaters! I'll show you...>

In article <4...@lewey.UUCP> e...@lewey.UUCP (Ed Post) writes:
>> I am trying to compile a canonical list of SF *novels* dealing with (1)
>> sentient computers, and (2) human mental access to computers or computer
>> networks.....

I'd like to insert a quick plug at this point-one excellent novel on this
subject, especially for computer people-is Delany's _Valentina:_Soul_in_
_Sapphire_. This was an _excellent_ novel that was killed by a poor and
misleading cover painting and blurb. If you can get your hands on it, I
heartily reccomend it!

--
a lesser Power of Darkness
UUCP: ...!wanginst!ulowell!rickheit : USnail: Erich Rickheit

David Haynes

Nov 10, 1986, 8:35:45 AM11/10/86
In article <4...@lewey.UUCP> e...@lewey.UUCP (Ed Post) writes:

>> I am trying to compile a canonical list of SF *novels* dealing with (1)
>> sentient computers, and (2) human mental access to computers or computer
>> networks.....
>
>Some of the classics:
>
> RUR (Rossum's Universal Robots), Carel Capek(?)
> Asimov's entire robot series
> When Harlie was One, David Gerrold
> The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Robert Heinlein
> Colossus (sp?), The Forbin Project
>--
>Ed Post {hplabs,voder,pyramid}!lewey!evp

More obscure examples:

Alright! Everyone off the planet! by Bob Ottum
The Adolescence of P1

-david-

David Haynes (-david-) utzoo --- yetti -+----------- geac --- david
Geac Computers |
350 Steelcase Road +- lethe --- dmh --- david
Markham, Ontario CANADA

nu...@utai.uucp

Nov 10, 1986, 4:02:12 PM11/10/86
The best sentient computer stories I have read are those in
"The Cyberiad: Fables for the Cybernetic Age", Stanislaw Lem

These are also some of the best stories I have read (period).

olson

Nov 11, 1986, 11:28:33 AM11/11/86
In article <4...@lewey.UUCP> e...@lewey.UUCP (Ed Post) writes:
>> I am trying to compile a canonical list of SF *novels* dealing with (1)
>> sentient computers, and (2) human mental access to computers or computer
>> networks.....
>
>Some of the classics:

One should add to the list (deleted) a more recent novel

Valentine. (the authors escape me, there were 2 of them)

The novel is SF, parts appeared a couple of years ago in Analog and
the novel with in the last year. It easily stands beside the 'classics'
listed by Ed Post.

(Oh yes, its about a sentient program on the world network.)

(Ah, for human mental access see Oracle by ... hum, I forget. Same author
as Mayflies. All my SF is at home)

Todd Olson

ARPA: olson@lasspvax -- or -- olson%lasspvax.tn.cornell.edu@cu-arpa
UUCP: {ihnp4,allegra,...}!cornell!lasspvax!olson
US Mail: Dept Physics, Clark Hall, Cornell University,
Ithaca, New York 14853-2501
--
Todd Olson

ARPA: olson@lasspvax -- or -- olson%lasspvax.tn.cornell.edu@cu-arpa
UUCP: {ihnp4,allegra,...}!cornell!lasspvax!olson
US Mail: Dept Physics, Clark Hall, Cornell University,
Ithaca, New York 14853-2501

Kim DeVaughn

Nov 12, 1986, 6:05:29 PM11/12/86
[ ... go ahead, eat my bits ... ]

Another excellent novel by James P. Hogan is "The Two Faces of Tomorrow"
(this would be category 1). The sentinent computer is the object of
this novel.

He (Hogan) also *uses* a resonably sentinent computer in his "Minerva"
trilogy, perticularly in the 2nd book, "The Gentle Giants of Ganymead";
again in his novel "Voyage From Yesteryear", a sentinent computer plays
a big role.

"The Mote in God's Eye" by Niven/Pournell also depends heavily on a
sentinent computer.

/kim

--
UUCP: {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,seismo,oliveb}!amdahl!kim
DDD: 408-746-8462

[ Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed ]
[ herein are my own. They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]

Random

Nov 13, 1986, 9:12:50 AM11/13/86
Really people!!!!! How about an early novel about intelligent computers

Colossus (spelling uncertain)
(I can't remember the second book but it had Colossus in title)
Colossus and the Crab

The story starts with a computer controlling the US defence network that
becomes intelligent, joins up with it's Russian counterpart and decides
that it should run the world.
--
Random (Randy Buckland)
Research Triangle Institute

David desJardins

Nov 13, 1986, 11:05:34 PM11/13/86
In article <41...@amdahl.UUCP> k...@amdahl.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
>"The Mote in God's Eye" by Niven/Pournell also depends heavily on a
>sentient computer.

?????

This novel is remarkable for the complete lack of computer technology.
I don't remember anything smarter than an autopilot. Are you thinking
of a different book?

-- David desJardins

Lindsay F. Marshall

Nov 14, 1986, 3:56:29 AM11/14/86
I recently read a book called "ariel" which concerned a sentient
machine. I cant remember the name of the author, but it was truely one
of the most awful loads of trash I have ever had the misfortune to come
across. The author knew NOTHING about computers and the book is full of
attempts to describe machine rooms and such like - all information
seeming to be garnered from movies. The book is about some wonderful
westerner (US I think) who is doggedly attemtping to build an
intelligent machine whilst the wily and evil Japanese are trying to
steal his ideas (because their's dont work) and to detroy everything he
has already built. The day is saved by the computer man's plucky son
who has been hacking into the Intelligent Machine (Ariel) and has taught
it (like a child of course, the adults hadnt thought of this) thus
making it intelligent. The son has also been snarfing copies of
everything he could lay his hands on and when it's all destroyed he has
a copy...... Ring the bells and hang out the flags!! Basically this
book is total crap and should be avoided at any cost.

Lindsay
Lindsay F. Marshall, Computing Lab., U of Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne & Wear, UK
ARPA : lindsay%cheviot.new...@ucl-cs.arpa
JANET : lin...@uk.ac.newcastle.cheviot
UUCP : <UK>!ukc!cheviot!lindsay

Kenneth Ng

Nov 16, 1986, 3:46:21 AM11/16/86
In article <10...@rti-sel.UUCP>, r...@rti-sel.UUCP (Random) writes:
> Really people!!!!! How about an early novel about intelligent computers
>
> Colossus (spelling uncertain)
> (I can't remember the second book but it had Colossus in title)
> Colossus and the Crab

It's "The Fall of Colossus"

--
Kenneth Ng: Post office: NJIT - CCCC, Newark New Jersey 07102
uucp !ihnp4!allegra!bellcore!argus!ken

McCoy: "This won't hurt a bit"
Chekov: "That's what you said last time"
McCoy: "Did it?"
Chekov: "Yes"

Klaus Hansen

Nov 19, 1986, 10:58:26 AM11/19/86
I would suggest some or all of the following may fall into this
category of books featuring sentient computers:

Fred Saberhagen: Berserker's Planet

Robert A. Heinlein: The moon is a harsh mistress

Arthur C. Clarke: 2001

Piers Anthony: Split Infinity

Piers Anthony: Mute

Fred Hoyle: The message from Andromeda (?)

A.E. van Vogt: The world of Null-A (??)

D.F. Jones: Colossus

and a detective novel maybe featuring a such computer (this is
part of the mystery to be solved):

Lou Cameron: Cybernia

sew...@mecc.uucp

Nov 21, 1986, 11:02:56 PM11/21/86
I'm sure the author of the original article has enough material to start
with. Can we let him issue version 1 of his Canonical list, then MAIL
additions to him?

(Besides, I want the list in one piece so I won't miss any books for my home)
--
Scot E. Wilcoxon Minn Ed Comp Corp {quest,dayton,meccts}!mecc!sewilco
(612)481-3507 sew...@MECC.COM ihnp4!meccts!mecc!sewilco

Kim DeVaughn

Nov 25, 1986, 3:31:49 PM11/25/86
In article <95...@lanl.ARPA>, j...@lanl.ARPA (Pat McGee) writes:
> Kim DeVaughn mentioned that "The Mote in Gods Eye" had a sentient computer.
> This does not match my memory. All I remember was that everyone had
> pocked computers that could access lots of information (complete library
> services, plus anything the user had said while 'recording')

Pat is absolutely correct, as are several others who sent me email
pointing out the error of my ways ... seems I got the "Moties" mixed-up
with Hogan's "Ganymeans" somewhere along the line.

In atonement for this transgression, I offer another somewhat obscure
"sentient computer novel":

Vulcan's Hammer by Philip K. Dick