Canonical list of sentient computer novels (progress report)

Gary Knight

Nov 21, 1986, 11:21:54 AM11/21/86

Wow!! The response has been overwhelming . . . I've got a
megabyte file to plow through! I've gotten some excellent
lists, and some good advice on sources. Give me a month or
two, though, to get it all sorted out and to do a bit of
research. And don't stop posting!
--
Gary Knight, 3604 Pinnacle Road, Austin, TX 78746 (512/328-2480).
Biopsychology Program, Univ. of Texas at Austin. "There is nothing better

Jude Poole

Nov 23, 1986, 9:59:48 PM11/23/86
By far the best sentient computer novel I have ever come across is
'The two Faces of Tommorrow' by the best hard-sf writer around
today, James P. Hogan.

Gene Ward Smith

Nov 24, 1986, 12:57:34 AM11/24/86
Expires:

Since I am afraid people are sick of this "hard" sf discussion, I
will content myself by pointing out the fact that Hogan is another good
source for the claim that the "science" in so-called "hard" sf is typic-
ally baloney. In fact, Hogan makes blunders so stupid that he makes
Niven seem like "Physics Review" by comparison.

ucbvax!brahms!gsmith Gene Ward Smith/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720
"You and I as individuals can, by borrowing, live beyond our means, but
only for a limited period of time. Why should we think that collectively,
as a nation, we are not bound by that same limitation?" -- Ronald Reagan

Brian Guenter

Nov 25, 1986, 3:43:52 PM11/25/86
Michaelmas by Algis Budrys

David L. Smith

Nov 26, 1986, 3:08:27 AM11/26/86
Newsgroups: net.sf-lovers
Subject: Re: Another Example of "Science" Fiction
In article <4...@cartan.Berkeley.EDU> gsm...@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Gene Ward Smith) writes:

Since I am afraid people are sick of this "hard" sf discussion, I
will content myself by pointing out the fact that Hogan is another good
source for the claim that the "science" in so-called "hard" sf is typic-
ally baloney. In fact, Hogan makes blunders so stupid that he makes
Niven seem like "Physics Review" by comparison.

ucbvax!brahms!gsmith Gene Ward Smith/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

Would you be so kind as to enlighten us poor imbeciles who just read
the books to enjoy them rather than to pick them apart as to which authors
write to your specifications on scientific accuracy?

Thanks in advance
David L. Smith
sdcsvax!sdcc18!ee161aba