The Gash??? on the Titanic???

Lawrence J. Mazlack

Aug 11, 1986, 4:52:45 PM8/11/86

> I'm finding it hard to understand, didn't the Titanic have a double bottom??And if she only popped some rivots,then why couldn't the pumps keep ahead of
>the water?? Also, what about the doulbe bottom...The Titanic could float
>with the first 4 compartments flooded, but 6 compartments were "opened".

The "double hull" actually was a double bulk head that was only double to
a certain height (what, I don`t recall). The top of the double was left
open. So, when the ship tipped, the water sloshed over the top from a
damaged compartment to an undamaged one. Thus, the double hull was only
good if the ship didn`t loose normal orientation.

...Larry maz...@ernie.berkeley.edu

Cathy Schevon

Aug 20, 1986, 10:50:26 AM8/20/86
In article <15...@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> maz...@ernie.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Lawrence J. Mazlack) writes:

>So, when the ship tipped, the water sloshed over the top from a
>damaged compartment to an undamaged one. Thus, the double hull was only
>good if the ship didn`t loose normal orientation.

Hey, here's an idea: To prevent the Titanic from tipping because of
the weight of the water in the bow, the captain should have turned
the ship around and rammed the *stern* into the iceberg so the water
in it would act as a counterweight. Then: no tipping, no sinking.
Gee, too bad Cpt. Smith didn't think of that instead of moaning about
the Californian (a ship sitting within sight of the Titanic) not
responding.

Cathy

--
Cathy Schevon "`Eureka!' ... this is Greek for
Brown University `The bath is too hot!'"