The TITANIC what really happened

Manny P. Costa

Jul 29, 1986, 8:12:40 AM7/29/86
> j...@petrus.UUCP (Jack Stanley) writes:
>
> The Titanic struck an iceberg, and sank in the chilled waters of the
> north atlantic. This we know to be true....However there are a lot of things
> that are only good guesses at most. I would like to set some of the
^^^^^^^
> story on the right track.
>
> When it was discovered that the vessel was going to
> sink, everyone rushed to the Purser's office (where the safes were) to collect
> their valubles, those that were not picked up were last seen being loaded
> into postal bags...I wonder were they are now?????
>
> There are reports that the ship broke apart before she made the
> final plunge, How ever there are many conflicting reports. This would
> make some sense then of her condition on the ocean floor . There are two
> major sections of the vessel 2 1/2 miles down. But, did she break before
> the end, or as she struck, or slid on the ocean floor.????
>

> I hope this little artical has been informative.
> Jack Stanley (201) 292-3199

Jack, your posting attempts to stop other peoples "good guesses" by replacing
them with your "good guesses". If you are truly stating facts, how about
citing where your facts are from, (and merely saying that you read it
*somewhere* doesn't cut it).

Why do you make a question out of *when* the ship broke up? Are you hinting
at another "good guess" that possibly the Titanic was torpedoed?

Also, it isn't necessary to post articles that are double spaced. It doesn't
add any more credibility to what you've posted. It just
adds more empty lines that the mailer has to contend with, and hence slow
up everyone elses mail on the net.
--

Manny Costa {allegra, gatech, ihnp4, linus, raybed2}!rayssd!rayssdb!mpc
Raytheon

Philip E. OKunewick

Aug 5, 1986, 8:18:30 PM8/5/86
In article <12...@rayssdb.UUCP> m...@rayssdb.UUCP (Manny P. Costa) writes:
>> j...@petrus.UUCP (Jack Stanley) writes:
>>[quotes Jack Stanley's entire article]
>>[empty line]
>[empty line]
>[empty line]
>[empty line]
>[stuff]
>[empty line]
>[stuff]
>[empty line]

>Also, it isn't necessary to post articles that are double spaced. It doesn't
>add any more credibility to what you've posted. It just
>adds more empty lines that the mailer has to contend with, and hence slow
>up everyone elses mail on the net.
>[a line containing only '--']
>[empty line]

>Manny Costa {allegra, gatech, ihnp4, linus, raybed2}!rayssd!rayssdb!mpc
>Raytheon
>Submarine Signal Division
>Portsmouth, Rhode Island
^^^^^[Always use zip code!!]

It may be noted here that an empty line consists of either
only one character <lf> or two characters <crlf>. Therefore by
adding empty lines to a posting can increase it's length by (lemme
think now...) (hmm...) (get out the ol' TI...) (damn bouncing
keys...) 1.25 to 3.125 % !!!! No wonder the mail moves so slow these
days!!

(We're not going to say anything about re-posting entire
articles now, are we?)

Just a few observations there...

---Duck

Karl Kluge

Aug 12, 1986, 10:10:51 PM8/12/86
For those interested in the TITANIC, here is some info you might
find useful:

Basic sources:
Lord, Walter. _A Night to Remember_. Minute by minute account of the
sinking and rescue, with brief mention of reaction to the disaster on
shore. Hardbound edition has many photos of the ship and its interior;
paperback edition has plans of Boat Deck and bottom deck. Both include
a complete passenger list, indicating who survived and who didn't.
USA Today mentioned a new sequel, _The Night Lives On_. Made into an
excellent film.

Marcus, Geoffry. _Maiden Voyage_. The story from the Boat Train from
London to the civil suit against the White Star Line. Negative account
of US Senate Inquiry. Photos, copious footnotes.

Wade, Craig Wyn. _TITANIC -- End of a Dream_. Rehabilitates US Senate
Inquiry and its head, Sen. Smith of Michigan. Deck plans (almost unread-
able in the paperback edition), photos, excellent bibliography. Treats
the reaction on shore (the women-and-children-first ethic and the suff-
ragettes, etc).

(* All three of these will point you to other sources such as original
survivor accounts, etc. *)

Hoffman, William and Jack Grimm. _Beyond Reach: The Search for the Titanic_.
An account of the expedition financed by Grimm to find the ship. Photos,
picture of 1912 newspaper article reprinting the cargo manifest of the
ship (worth about $420K 1912).

Fiction:
Cussler, Clive. _Raise the Titanic_. The first Dirk Pitt novel, and still
one of Cussler's best. The only large supply of a rare element needed to
construct an Astrodome ABM defense is in the hold of the Titanic, and the
Russians want it too. The film is really bad compared to the book.

*author's name slips my mind*. _The Memory of Eva Ryker_. An ex-policeman
turned author is assigned to write the story of the 196x expedition which
found the Titanic. The clue that unravels the case which led to his leaving
the police force in disgrace is held buried in the mind of the daughter
of the expedition's financier, who survived the disaster as a little girl.
Made into what looked to be a terrible TV film. Book includes plan of
part of B Deck, cross-section, plan of Boat Deck.

Films not mentioned above:
_Titanic_. Barbara Stanwyck, Clifton Webb. Great sets and attention to
detail, poor plot that has the women and children huddling in boats
while the men line the rail singing "Nearer, My God, To Thee."

_SOS Titanic_. Made for TV. Fairly accurate, based on book by 2cd Class
survivor Lawrence Beesley, but cheap -- they used the Queen Mary for some
of the sets (nothing to destroy your suspension of disbelief like seeing
the passengers of the Titanic walking into the dining room used in the
_Poseidon Adventure_).

Basic facts about the wreck:

* Titanic was carrying 2207 people, with boats for 1178 of them. There
were 713 survivors.

Saved: Women & children Men
1st class 94% 31%
2cd class 81% 10%
3rd class 47% 14%
crew 87% 22%

*The stern section appears to have broken off about 1000 ft. underwater,
and lies pointing in the opposite direction from the bow section about
2000 feet away from it. Several safes were spotted in the debris field
between the the two sections, but none of them would be the safe from
the 1st Class Purser's Office. One wonders if the Jason Jr. checked out
the Purser's Office -- it's right off the Grand Staircase on C Deck, a
deck above where the intact chandelier was photographed.

*The cargo was worth only $420,000, but the 1st Class passengers carried
jewelry worth far more than that ($5 million in diamonds, one strand of
pearls insured for $600,000, $11,000 in jewelry left behind in one cabin
alone).

*While the Titanic sank less than 10 miles away, the Californian sat
ignoring the distress rockets launched by the Titanic. The Californian
did not have a 24-hour radio watch, and the radioman turned in just
before the collision, hence the ship's SOS was not received by the
Californian.

Karl Kluge (k...@g.cmu.cs.edu)
Carnegie-Mellon University

Any opinions expressed may not even be mine, let alone those of
the people who pay me.

"Nuke 'em from orbit -- it's the only way to be _sure_."
"We're going to waste you now -- no offense."