DOS 5.0 & PC Week

1 view

Mike Boyce

May 26, 1986, 2:43:57 PM5/26/86
In article <1...@wolf.UUCP>, st...@wolf.UUCP (Steve Harrison) writes:
> I cannot sit back and listen to the things one computer magazine
> is saying about a large computer company in the US and it's wonderful
> new technological breakthrough in O/S's without making a comment.
>
> PC-Week has hit new limits (depths that is) in managing to talk the
> public into believing in a large Blue God!

Always remember when reading these rags what their purpose is and who they
make thier money from. One glance at these types of publications will tell.
Yes, you guessed it, ADVERTISING. They don't worship Big Blue or Death Star.
They are not trying to aid their readership (oh, maybe once in while to keep
good standing). They are trying to make money. The people who make the
products are trying to make money. And they've got millions of schmucks
out there, (Yeah I'm one too), slobbering over new products and prices.

I had a logic class in school once where the instructor had us dissect
some of these ads. If you go through the article you will most likely
find nothing untrue. But you won't find much in the way of facts either.
You will find alot of hype. ITS NOT WHAT THEY SAY ITS WHAT THEY DONT SAY.

We all have to read these rags to stay in touch with whats happening. Just
remember that its an ad. Watch out for for hype. And every time someone
uses an ad as fact, point out the error. If they persist go get the article
and a highliter and find the facts (rigorously, no half facts please).
Sometimes you can find some really amazing misinfo. Try it.

Mike Boyce

DISCLAMOR: These views are mine and not those of my employer. I am not
saying that PC WEEK or any other publication is doing anything
illegal or immoral. Advertising is an American Institution and
I will defend anyones right to freedom of speech. I will also
defend anyones right to not believe a damn word of it.
Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk
Hackers of the world unite. You have nothing to lose but you ball and chain.