TeX previewer

Przemyslaw Klosowski

Oct 11, 1986, 9:02:03 PM10/11/86
I am interested in seeing such a beast; I think that the ability to (selec-
tively) inspect DVI files on screen is important. The first implementation of
TeX I used (in 1982) had this in it; after that I had to use paper copies.
I saw the approximation to this being distributed on the net (namely DVITYPE)
but it needs to re-run TeX on your document (because a special font is used),
which defeats somehow the purpose of the previewer (or did I get this wrong?)

SO:
1) does anybody know of a public domain previewer for let say
Tektronix 4010/4014
2) maybe some pointers to information about DVI file layout,
and why it is not obvious how to write such program.

:^) Here I am, waiting for a computer with the editor having the function
:^) 'format-and-show-the-text', with ~ real time response. This would be
:^) WYSIWYG again...

prz...@psuvaxg.bitnet
psuvax1!gondor!przemek

spray@smu

Oct 19, 1986, 2:37:00 PM10/19/86

I think Talaris sells a terminal/software combination TeX previewer.

--Rob Spray
--S&M U.
...convex!smu!spray