Stopping Salmonella in Tonga

mark...@geko.net.au

Feb 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/14/97

FREEDOM OF SPEECH IN TONGA SALMONELLA .....COVERUP.

1.Fax this to 676-24102
2.Put this message on the Kavabowl
3.Read for yourself the coverup !

1.
If you agree with me in clearing up the potential salmonella
OUTRAGE in Tonga due to alleged irresponsible management on the
part of TCF then please fax your concern to :
(Tonga) 676 -24102 attn "H.R.M. Tupou"
.If you do not agree then read THIS again and consider in depth
your action;
the life you save could be yours!!!:
2.
Could you please email THIS message to the KAVABOWL forums found
on <www.netstorage.com/kami/wwwboard/kavabowl.html>...I HAVE BEEN
FORBIDDEN ENTRY. THERE IS NO FREEDOM OF SPEECH IN TONGA.
3
"It only requires one case of Salmonella caused by the unhygienic
handling of Frozen Chicken and Tonga will not only lose lives but
will lose its Total Tourist Income."

In my three month visit to Tonga I was impressed with the beauty
of the people and the island, since then I have proudly expounded
the virtues of Tonga and the friendly, loving and welcoming nature
of the Tongan.

However, what is foremost in my memory, was the total disregard
for the health and wellbeing of the Tongan Family by certain
Bureaucrats and those ascended into high places, unqualified for
such positions and "the responsibility of such position."

My role as an AESOP Consultant was with TCF., Tonga Cooperative
Federation, the largest food wholesaler/retailer in
Tonga.{Turnover $20-MILLION}

In my first week there I took photographs, as the TCF- C.E.O [
Company Secretary Amanaki Paea ] stood by and watched, as frozen
cartons of Lamb Flaps and Chicken were thrown against walls and
onto ground surfaces, on which a few moments before stray dogs
has used for purposes of fornicating,deficating, and urinating;
yes, The chicken was actually broken up on the same dirt ground
into 2Kg Packs !!!!

This Chicken was then taken inside for sale to the family shopper.

So much for Hygiene.

The best was yet to come.

Chicken and Lamb, hours before frozen, were then placed on the
floor of the store, upon which they thawed out. I took
photographs of the blood from such cartons floating across the
floor, as I realised no one would believe it.

[Cartons too soft to sell were taken back to the Storehouse, in
the tropical heat in open Trucks, to be re-frozen and of course
re-thawed for sale another day!!!]

That was in the Nuku'alofa Main Store for sale to the "average"
Tongan Family shopper, Food Retailer, Restaurant, Cafe, Hotel etc.

The TCF stores at Vava'u, Ha'apai were even more chaotic.

Frozen Lamb and Chicken were placed on dirt floors under a tin
shed roof. In Ha'apai they could not be refrozen as someone burnt
down the original store including the Freezer room.

In Vava'u the procedure was streamlined...as frozen cartons went
out on Vans each day for delivery and sale, vans were
unrefrigerated, and as a result "THAW-OUT" occurred; this did not
deter the C.E.O., the Chicken and Lamb Flaps were frozen again and
24 hours later taken out for sale again.

In Nuku'alofa or anywhere at TCF no one had heard of delivering
Frozen Chicken in Refrigerated Vans.

It only requires one case of Salmonella caused by the unhygienic
handling of Frozen Chicken and Tonga will not only lose lives but
will lose its Total Tourist Income.

Please, think of this next time you go to buy Chicken in Tonga !!!
A O'Donnell

[AESOP Consultant to TCF .]

[ Photographs were given to the Editor Chronicle Newspaper but as
his Committee supervised the TCF Management Committee the story
was killed!!!!!!] Yes, AESOP and AusAID were notified,as were
Tongan Ministers and officials from the Prime Minister down. ]

date of issue 14/2/97. T hankyou for your support.