Fido newsletters in net.mail/net.news

1 view

Lauren Weinstein

Oct 21, 1986, 3:22:40 PM10/21/86
There's nothing inherently wrong with Fido newsletters being sent
out on Usenet, but much of the content of those newsletters seems
unrelated to the general discussion topics of net.mail/net.news.
Already those newsletters and the resulting arguing have apparently
caused some people to unsubscribe from these two groups.

To the extent that the newsletters have sections that are discussing
general issues of interest to the entire Usenet community, I assume
someone would be willing to excerpt those materials for submission
to net.mail. But the overall newsletters seem to spend most of their
text on very specific topics relating strictly to Fido, and other
miscellaneous unrelated topics (one recent newsletter, for example,
had a long section on converting DBASE files or some such).

To the extent that some people want to see the entire newsletters,
I urge that people start with a mailing list and then expand to
an appropriate newsgroup (with some mod.mag. name seeming right)
if interest warrants. When specific material in those newsletters is of
interest to the broader network community, I assume we can trust that
someone will cross post that particular excerpt to a more widely
read group.

--Lauren--