new site

Raanan Herrmann

Oct 20, 1986, 10:26:34 AM10/20/86
Name of site: bc-cis

What the site is all about:
Unix computing center in Brooklyn College, Brooklyn, New-York.
4.2BSD Unix, VAX 780/11.

Name of contact person at site: Raanan Herrmann

Electronic mail address of contact person: phri!raanan

U.S. Mail address of contact person:
Raanan Herrmann, CIS dept.,
Brooklyn College, Brooklyn, NY 11210.

Phone number of contact person: 718-780-5905.

Systems with whom news articles are exchanged: phri (uucp).

Systems with whom mail is exchanged: phri, bc-ccm, delftcc

Raanan Herrmann

Oct 20, 1986, 10:34:34 AM10/20/86
Name of site: bc-cis

What the site is all about:

Unix computing center in Brooklyn College of City University of NY (CUNY).

Name of contact person at site: Raanan Herrmann.

Electronic mail address of contact person: phri!bc-cis!raanan

U.S. Mail address of contact person.
Raanan Herrmann, CIS Dept.
Brooklyn College, Brooklyn, NY, 11210

Phone number of contact person: 718-780-5905

Systems with whom news articles are exchanged: phri (uucp).

Systems with whom mail is exchanged: phri, bc-ccm, delftcc.

Raanan Herrmann

Oct 20, 1986, 10:50:11 AM10/20/86
Name of site: bc-cis

What the site is all about:

Unix center in Brooklyn College of City University of NT (CUNY).

Name of contact person at site: Raanan Herrmann

Electronic mail address of contact person: phri!bc-cis!raanan

U.S. Mail address of contact person:
Raanan Herrmann, CIS Dept.
Brooklyn College, Brooklyn, NY 11210.

Phone number of contact person: 718-780-5905

Systems with whom news articles are exchanged: phri (through uucp).

Systems with whom mail is exchanged: phri, delftcc, bc-ccm.

Sharan Kalwani

Oct 24, 1986, 8:49:17 PM10/24/86
Name of site. Michigan Cancer Foundation
What the site is all about. Biomedical research

Name of contact person at site. Sharan Kalwani
Electronic mail address of contact person. !ihnp4!mb2c!mcf!shan
U.S. Mail address of contact person. 110 East Warren Avenue
Detroit, Michigan 48201
Phone number of contact person. (313)-833-0710

Systems with whom news articles are exchanged. mb2c
(what kind of link, who the neighbor(s) are). UUCP ,Michigan Bell Telephone

Systems with whom mail is exchanged. mb2c (UUCP link), every night
(what kind of link, who the neighbor(s) are, @intervals of 3 hours. Sure,
what frequency of connection, whether or not we'll pass mail along.
you'll pass outside mail along).

Willingness (or lack thereof) to connect to new sites that
want to join usenet. If you run uucp, tell if new sites can
call you, if you will poll them, what your policy is.
If on the arpanet, are you willing to forward news on to new
sites by establishing an arpanet usenet connection?
We are willing to connect
new sites, we run uucp,
new sites can call us. Nope
we are not on arpanet.

If you want to publish your uucp phone number, login, and password,
include that info.
Sharan Kalwani
<<UUCP>>: !ihnp4!mb2c!mcf!shan
<<non-UUCP>>: (313) 833-0710/extn 411, 42 20 N/ 83 03 W

Roy Smith

Oct 24, 1986, 10:26:44 PM10/24/86
In article <7...@bc-cis.UUCP> raa...@bc-cis.UUCP (Raanan Herrmann) writes:
> Name of site: bc-cis
> 4.2BSD Unix, VAX 780/11.
Surely you mean 11/780, don't you? Or is this simply yet another a
manefestation of the big-endian/little-endian problem? :-)

> Electronic mail address of contact person: phri!raanan

As the SA of phri, I can tell you that mail to "phri!raanan" will just get
bounced as "recipient unknown". Try "phri!bc-cis!raanan".
--
Roy Smith, {allegra,philabs}!phri!roy
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

Joel West

Oct 27, 1986, 9:13:04 PM10/27/86
In article <1...@mcf.UUCP>, sh...@mcf.UUCP (Sharan Kalwani) writes:
> Subject: new site

Does 2.11 require the posting to net.news.newsite (or news.newsite?)
to give more meaningful headings? As far as I'm concerned, the
words 'new' and 'site' should not appear in the subject headings
for this news group. Instead, the subject should be:

Subject: anuddavax: Acme Manufacturing, Ozone, CA

to indicate whether it's worth reading.
--
Joel West MCI Mail: 282-8879
Western Software Technology, POB 2733, Vista, CA 92083

Mike Wexler

Oct 31, 1986, 2:47:02 PM10/31/86

In article <8...@gould9.UUCP> jo...@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) writes:
>Does 2.11 require the posting to net.news.newsite (or news.newsite?)
>to give more meaningful headings?

> Joel West MCI Mail: 282-8879
> Western Software Technology, POB 2733, Vista, CA 92083
> {cbosgd, ihnp4, pyramid, sdcsvax, ucla-cs} !gould9!joel
> joel%gould...@NOSC.ARPA
I think a progarm should be written(I may write it in my spare time if
noone else has it written yet). That would ask for the information about
a particular site and put it into a standard format for posting to
net.news.newsite and net.news.config.
This program would be used during the installation procedure and also
when a site changed there configuration. It could send mail to the
network map coordinator, post an article to either net.news.newsite or
net.news.config (whichever is appropriate), and it could set up a local
configuration file for machines that are not known to the outside world.
There are many advantages to such a program. First, it would put
the postings in a standard format that could be automatically
processed, i.e. when a newsite or a configuration posting comes in it
could automatically change the appropriate map files. Second, it would
put the postings in a more usable form as suggested by Joel. Third, it
would save time for the person setting up news.
Following is a sample session of the proposed program. If you
have any ideas please mail them to me and I will post a summary of them
and possibly a modified sample session. In the following session questions
the computers asks are prefacted by "Computer:", answers the user gives are
prefixed by "User:", and comments and ideas of mine are prefixed by "Remark:".

Computer: Is this a new installation?
Remark: It might be able to figure this out itself. By checking to see if
a file is there that it creates when in runs.
User: yes
Computer: What is the name of your site?
Remark: This may be figured out the same way sitename is figured out by
the rest of the news software.
User: abcdefghijkvax
Computer: Many sites may not be able to send mail to because it is longer then
6 characters long, would you like to change it?
User: yes
Computer: What is the name of your site?
User: gatech
Computer: That site name already exists. Please enter another name.
Remark: To come up with an answer like this the user would have to have
the pathalias database online.
User: gtech
Computer: What are the make and model of your computer?
User: PDP 11/17
Computer: What operating system does it run?
User: MVS/XA
Computer: What is the name of your organization?
User: Psychotic State, Psychiatry Department
Computer: Who is the USENET administrator?
User: Joe Cool
Computer: What is the system administrators email address?
User: gtech!joecool
Computer: What is the system administrators phone number?
User: (012) 345-6789
Computer: What is the system administrators mailing address?
User: 1234 Main St, Little Town, BS 00000
Computer: At what latitude and longitude is your organization located?
User: 01 23 45 N / 60 12 34 W
Computer: Is there anything special that people should know about your site?
User: no
Computer: Whats sites do you exchange news with?
User: abcvax, defvax, ghiprm
Remark: the computer might check the pathalias database to see if it knows
about these.
Computer: What is the name of a site you exhanged mail with?
User: abcvax
Remark: The computer could check the pathalais database to see if this site
is known.
Computer: How frequently?
User: DAILY
Computer: Do you exchange mail with any other sites?
User: No
Computer: Segmentation Fault(core dumped)
User: Huh?

The results of this would be a newsite entry that looks like this
#N gtech
#S PDP 11/17, MVS/XA
#O Psychotic State, Psychiatry Department
#C Joe Cool
#E gtech!joecool
#T (012) 345-6789
#P 1234 Main t, Little Town, BS 00000
#L 01 23 45 N / 60 12 34 W
#U abcvax, defvax, ghiprm
#R
#
gtech abcvax(DAILY)

This would then be posted to net.news.newsite and mailed to the
appropriate network map coordinator.
--
Mike Wexler
(trwrb|scgvaxd)!felix!peregrine!mike