Klaatu Barada Nicotine

MKR

Mar 17, 1986, 2:32:54 PM3/17/86
[Klaatu Barada Nicotine]

I just watched "The Day the Earth Stood Still" last night for the
first time in a long while. There was one scene in it that was unbelievably
funny, although I don't think they meant it. It went something like this:

Klaatu, the man from outer space, was shot and wounded and was
brought to Walter Reed Hospital. He's in a hospital room, and in
the outer room, two doctors are discussing this strange being:

Doctor 1: "His body is human, just like ours."
Doctor 2: "Except that he's 78 years old, and he doesn't look
more than about thirty."
Doctor 1: "They have a much longer lifespan than we do. Why?"
Doctor 2: (taking out a pack of cigarettes and offering one to
the other doc) "Their medicine must be much more advanced
than ours."
Doctor 1: (taking one of the cigarettes) "Yeah."

Okay, that's not verbatim, but rent the videotape and watch it -
it's a pretty good movie anyway.

--
--MKR

The first half of a project takes 90% of the time. The other half takes
the other 90%.

What's all this, then?

Mar 21, 1986, 6:48:53 PM3/21/86
>[Klaatu Barada Nicotine]

Well, I think they DID mean for that juxtaposition. Movies from the late
Fifties and early Sixties were always trying to convey messages, either
obvious or not. Longer life span/cigarette smoking were contradictory.
Although no documented evidence was out on smoking and cancer, many
doctors suspected as much....

Anyway, yes! it's a classic!!!

-See you at the movies,
Cary DiWhay