BRAZIL and the L.A. Critics Award

Jonathan Gingerich

Mar 9, 1986, 11:35:34 PM3/9/86
Just a short note. Several people have mentioned the L.A. Critics Award
received by BRAZIL. I know very little about it, but I believe that it was
an ad hoc group put together as part of the politics of getting the film
released.
Jon. Gingerich

rei...@ucla-cs.uucp

Mar 12, 1986, 1:28:34 PM3/12/86

No, the LA Critics Awards (plural, they give out a whole slew, an award for
best picture being but one of them) has been around lo these many years.
I believe that they were originally gotten together more or less as a
response to the New York Critics Awards, the feeling being, I suppose, that
New York critics have a nerve to butt into LA's artform, and they should
stick to theater. The LA critics association and the New York critics
association have a long history of disagreement, and can almost always be
counted on to give their awards to different films and people. The New
York critics have a particularly strong bias in favor of foreign films.
The LA critics have a fondness for American independent films and the
less popular (in terms of money) American directors.
--
Peter Reiher
rei...@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU