The Wall

Sean Gilley

Mar 18, 1986, 9:09:26 AM3/18/86
In reference to the article that said that the `wall' was refering to
the imaginary fourth wall between the performers and the audience --

Sure, that may be what he meant as a writer, but that doesn't mean
that that's all there is to the movie. It's been a while since I've seen
the movie, but it is ridiculas to say that that meaning is all there is
to it.

I don't remember who directed the movie, but certainly the `Another Brick
In the Wall' scene with the children first becoming all nearly the same,
then falling into a meat grinder can have several different interpretations,
the easiest being just a new versions of the `Little Boxes' theme.

Since it has been so long since I saw the movie, I don't feel competant to
really comment on it, but the `fourth wall' idea did not come over at all
in the film. Perhaps seen on stage it might be different, but I don't
even know if it was done on stage... I didn't see it.

Sean.

--

Sean L. Gilley Phone: (606) 272-9620 or (606) 257-8781

{ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax}!cbosgd!ukma{!ukgs}!slg, s...@UKMA.BITNET

I do not have a city, a state, or a country that I will die for, but rather
a world that I will fight for, that it might live.

Barth Richards

Mar 18, 1986, 2:15:05 PM3/18/86
In article <12...@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU> z...@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Mike Konopik) writes:

>By the way, Wall fans, I've listened to a tape of a BBC broadcast with an
>interview of Roger Waters with respect to The Wall. His explanation of
>what it means is WAY off mark from what most people I've discussed it with
>imagine. Sorry that I can't remember many of the details, but I do remember
>that he said the "wall" was referring to the perceived wall between a band
>performing onstage and the audience in the concert hall. Nothing about
>anything offstage. Really flipped me out when I heard the "real" meaning.

I've heard a lengthy interview with Roger too. (A roommate had it on tape,
and I'm still kicking myself for not getting a copy from him.)

Roger said it was a lot more than that, though he was certianly not bursting
with enthusiasm when it came to explaining himself.

>Somehow his explanation doesn't seem to completely cover all the subtle
>parts of the album/movie.

Certianly not. It seemed somewhat painful for him to talk about.

>Either that, or he was intentionally trying to
>make the audience think there was some obscure meaning beyond the mundanity
>of the real meaning.

What's the real meaning? Hard to say for sure, but looking at the album and
movie, and considering some of the evidence (i.e. similarities between
Roger's life and "Pink's"), one can formulate theories.

>You figure it out!

Easier said than done!

Barth Richards
Tellabs, Inc.