Free coffee contest

David A. Pearlman

Sep 8, 1986, 1:07:30 PM9/8/86
In the latest edition of Time magazine, there is an advertisement
by Sanka wherein they announce a new contest. If you can tell them
how many coffee beans (to within 50) are used, on average, to produce
a 13 ounce can of ground Sanka, you win *12* cans of the stuff.
There is no limit on the number of entries you can submit. Limit one
winning entry per household/family. There are no purchase requirements.

Does anyone out there in net-land have any good guesses they'd like
to share with the rest of us?

Entries should be sent to:

"Spill the Beans" Contest
P.O. Box 5317
Kankakee, IL 60902

Enter as often as you want. Guess must be printed on a 3 x 5 inch card and
sent by first class mail to the above address. Contest ends February 28,1987.
Typical restrictions (no employees of General Foods, etc.) apply.

David ("Dr. DAP") Pearlman

Andrew Klossner

Sep 9, 1986, 10:48:58 AM9/9/86
[]

"In the latest edition of Time magazine, there is an
advertisement by Sanka wherein they announce a new contest. If
you can tell them how many coffee beans (to within 50) are
used, on average, to produce a 13 ounce can of ground Sanka,
you win *12* cans of the stuff."

I'd guess zero coffee beans per can of Sanka. And who would want
twelve cans of the stuff? I can make a better cup of coffee using
Linus Van Pelt's recipe for hot chocolate: dip a brown crayon in a cup
of warm water.

Is Time magazine including heavier ads in all their regional editions,
or is it just my part of the country that is so cursed? Last week's
issue had a cardboard fold-out three-dimensional image of the
TransAmerica pyramid, and a stapled-in booklet. It was so bulky that I
ripped out all the inserts before reading. The previous week was
similar, with a multi-page stapled-in booklet for the IBM PC, printed
on heavier stock. In both cases, after removing the advertising
matter, there wasn't much magazine left.

-=- Andrew Klossner (decvax!tektronix!tekecs!andrew) [UUCP]
(tekecs!andrew.tektronix@csnet-relay) [ARPA]

Alan Groupe

Sep 10, 1986, 5:45:48 PM9/10/86
Why not buy a couple of ounces of whole been coffee and count how
many beans you get. Then just bracket this answer by +- 50 and 100.

Landon Curt Noll

Sep 12, 1986, 8:50:44 PM9/12/86
In article <22...@hammer.UUCP> and...@hammer.UUCP (Andrew Klossner) writes:
>> ... If you can tell them how many coffee beans (to within 50) are
>> used, on average, to produce a 13 ounce can of ground Sanka...

>I'd guess zero coffee beans per can of Sanka. And who would want
>twelve cans of the stuff?

Play it safe and guess 51. I think the true answer IS 0!

chongo <> /\oo/\
--
[people at Amdahl Corp never say things like this]

Dick King

Sep 15, 1986, 6:16:38 PM9/15/86

From: mar...@sdchem.UUCP (David A. Pearlman)
Newsgroups: net.consumers,net.misc
Date: 8 Sep 86 17:07:30 GMT

[...]

I don't drink coffee, so I won't bother, but how hard would it be to
count 1/2 ounce of beans and multiply by 26? Am I missing something?

-dick

Jerry Natowitz

Sep 16, 1986, 12:59:43 PM9/16/86
> I don't drink coffee, so I won't bother, but how hard would it be to
> count 1/2 ounce of beans and multiply by 26? Am I missing something?
>
> -dick

Coffee beans vary greatly in their weight dependent on the variety
of the bean and how it was roasted.
--
Jerry Natowitz (HASA - A division)
Bell Labs HR 2A-214

Isn't it interesting how the beautiful little red flower in the forest
becomes so ugly when you discover it's a candy wrapper.