ROM'd "Brick" for the Integral PC

jason

Oct 18, 1986, 2:49:00 PM10/18/86
Announcing a new Integral Personal Computer product:

Product: HP 82987A Software Engineering ROM Module
Retail Cost: $1195
Price List: November 1
Formal Introduction: Oct 20 @ Unix Expo, New York

The HP 82987A Software Engineering ROM Module consists of "approximately 160 of
the most useful and frequently used HP-UX commands" (list to follow), six 3.5"
inch microflexible discs containing the remaining HP-UX commands and on-line
documentation, and a "Getting Started" guide.

The ROM module installs into one of the I/O ports and uses half a slot. After
installation, the following commands are available:

adjust csplit fold lsx red tee
admin ctags format_disc make rev time
ar cut get mkdev rm time_of_day
ar.ranlib date getopt mkdir rmdir touch
as delta grep mknod rmnl tr
awk deroff head mm rpn true
basename df hostname more rsh tsort
bdiff diff hp mount_disc sdiff ul
bfs diffh hyphen mv sed uname
c2 diffmk *include mvdir set_win uncompress
cat dircmp inv neqn sh unexpand
cb dirname ipcrm newform size uniq
cc du ipcs nice sleep unmount_disc
ccom e join nl sort unpack
cdb echo kermit nm spell val
chgrp ed kill nohup spellprog vedit
chmod edit l nroff split vi
chown egrep ld od ssp view
chroot env lex pack status vis
cmp ex lifcp page strings wc
col expand line paste strip whereis
comm expr ll pcat stty which
compress false ln pdb su whoami
copy_disc fcc lorder pr sum xargs
cp fdb ls prof tail xd
cpio fgrep lsf ps tar yacc
cpp file lsr pwd tbl zcat
csh find

* The program 'include' extracts header files from a rom-resident file.

Using a custom rom-resident shared library and various data compression
techniques, almost 5 Megabytes of code and data have been squeezed into
2 Megabytes of ROM. These ROM executable commands have decreased
memory requirements, decreased load time, and eliminated or freed Megabytes
of hard disc space ($$$). As a contributing development engineer, it
is not uncommon for me to be compiling, editing two files, perusing
a header file with more, and running kermit ALL in seperate windows. My
major complaint now is running out of 'horses'. Now, if I can only convince my
boss my 20% increase in productivity should be matched with with a comparable
raise!

By installing the Software Engineering Module into the Integral PC one truly
has a transportable Software Engineering workstation.

Optimum hardware configuration:
Integral PC w/ 5.0 OS ROM
HP 82987A Software Engineering ROM Module
HP 82919A opt 001 piggy back serial card
HP 82916A 1Mb Memory Module

Companion products:
HP 82919A opt 001 - piggy back serial card requiring half a slot

For custom software applications:
HP 82968A EPROM/ROM Board - 256K bytes (512K bit EPROM)
HP 82971A EPROM/ROM Module - 1Mbyte (512K bit EPROM)
2Mbytes (1Mbit Masked ROM)
HP 82970A EPROM/ROM Software Development Tools - Utilities and tutorial
providing the capability to place custom software in read only memory (ROM)

-Jason Su
Hewlett Packard
Corvallis Workstation Operation
...!hp-pcd!jason